Breast implants changing. What's happening to me?

I have silicone breast implants since about 12 years. It's been around s year that my breasts look smalle. They have wrinkles that are visible and noticeable by touch as well. Sometimes I have a sensation that something is crawling under my breast, and a month ago ive started to have a feeling of wet and cold breasts. What's happening to me?

See your surgeon

Any time there is a sudden change in either the appearance or feel of your breast implants, you need to be assessed in person by your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below). It's always best to err on the side of caution. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Breast implants changing

Hello, if you have noticed significant changes to the appearance to the breasts or new symptoms, I would recommend booking a consultation with a physician for a proper breast assessment.  It is not possible to provide a diagnosis based on your description.

I appreciate your question.

Please see a board certified plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Implant changes

after 12 years you may be experiencing implant rupture, capsullar contracture or loss of natural breast tissue.  It's best to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon for an assessment.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

12 years post op

You may be experiencing hormonal changes, results of weight loss or a number of other changes. I recommend that you visit your family Doctor for a general health exam. You may wish to see ultrasound or MRI imaging for your breasts if your Doctor feels there is evidence of rupture.

All the best

What is happening to my implants?

It is recommended to get an MRI to make sure your implants are not ruptured.  The rippling is a normal occurrence with implants.  The rippling is more noticeable if you lose weight, especially in the breasts and the breast tissue thins over then implants.  Gaining 5-10 pounds may help hide this rippling.  Replacing your implants with high profile implants may also help with less rippling, but not a guarantee.  You should consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Changes in breast implants

I would tell my patients that any change in feeling or the looks of a breast implant should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon. If you're my patient, I would look at you with high-strength ultrasound and make sure that the implant is intact. Go back to your operating surgeon to discuss. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Changes After 12 years?

The breasts will change over the course of 12 years. Sometimes, this is associated with physical changes as well - skin thinning, gaining or losing weight. Without a photo, nothing specific can be said, but it is something that should be evaluated in person by a surgeon. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through an in-person consultation.
Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

12 year old breast implants

After 12 years, your breasts may have changed so that there is less breast tissue and the skin is thinner.  This can make the ripples of the implants appear more visible, although there may be no changes in the implants themselves.  The sensations that you are experiencing are a bit unusual.  I would get checked by a plastic surgeon to see what is going on.  

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon