Is it legal to do a reduction surgery and then put the patient BACK into their worn, dirty bra post surgery?

So my surgeon told me that she's going to put me back into my size M cup bra after my surgery and pack it with gauze. Since I intend to be a D/DD (SHE refuses to tell me what size she "intends" to take me down to) I dont think thatll fit. Also, I will have worn the bra for some hours (ew sweat and germs) AND its an underwire bra. She also said thst she WOULD NOT put me into any surgical bra I come prepared with. I'm a little irritated and very concerned at this point. Is that even LEGAL??

In general, you should be as comfortable as possible going into your surgery, and that means with the surgical plan, with the surgeon and with everything that can reasonably be controlled.  If, for whatever reason, that is not the case, then it may be a good idea to take a step back and reconsider each aspect before proceeding with the surgery.

While it is difficult to predict an EXACT bra cup size - and not possible to guarantee it - knowing ABOUT what size the target is reasonable. 

If there is hesitation - for any reason - you may want to consider additional opinions with board-certified plastic surgeons before proceeding with your surgery.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Patients undergoing breast surgery should understand that communicating their goals and/or evaluating the outcome of surgery based on achieving a specific cup size is not a good idea. As you know, cup sizes will vary from one bra manufacturer to another; therefore, communicating goals in terms of achieving specific size can be a source of confusion and/or dissatisfaction.

In terms of postsurgical bras, practices will vary from one surgeon to another. Using your own bra is certainly not “illegal” but is probably not the most common practice either. Best to run your questions/concerns by your plastic surgeon, who will be in the best position to explain her rationale. Best wishes.

Reduction Surgery

I'm not sure you are a good candidate for any surgery. It seems you want to dictate to the surgeon what size you will be after surgery when any doctor that does this type of surgery will tell you that is TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE.  And did you ever consider washing the bra before surgery so it's clean? I truly suspect if your surgeon is on RealSelf and sees this question she will cancel your surgery. I knoow I would. Hostile patients are a losing proposition for everyone, the patient included.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD