Is it common to fit perfectly into my pre-reduction surgery bra 2 1/2 weeks post surgery?

I had a breast reduction 2 1/2 weeks ago. Today I tried on my pre-surgery 32 DDDD bra and it still fits perfectly. My surgeon took 200g out of each of my no fat, very dense breasts and when I spoke to him today he said that I still have a lot of fluid in my breasts (I didn't have drains post surgery). I wanted to go down 3 cup sizes to a D cup, which looks like it isn't going to happen. Has this happened to any of your patients and what do you recommend?

Recovery time expectations in Melbourne, Florida

I advise my Melbourne, Florida, breast reduction patients that recovery time can take up to a year prior to seeing the true final result from any cosmetic procedure.  You are actually very early in your recovery period and therefore, are likely at only 2-1/2 weeks postop to still have plenty of swelling and even some fluid inside the breasts, so it would be unrealistic at this point to make judgments about your final postop size and appearance.  I would recommend you communicate closely with your board-certified plastic surgeon throughout your recovery period.  You will be surprised how much the breasts change all on their very own as they heal.  I hope this information is helpful to you.  Best of luck!  

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

The only guarantee that I give with reductions

is that you will be smaller.  And as you heal, you will be smaller because 200 gm is 200 gm.  But did you let your surgeon know what your goals were?  And was this a cosmetic procedure or covered by insurance?  If the latter, 200 gm will not qualify this for a medically necessary procedure.  It it was cosmetic, you should have had some role in deciding just how much tissue was to be removed and this helps prevent any miscommunication.  But with more healing, you will be smaller than what you see right now.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breasts Still Big

Thank you for your question. Based on the fact that your surgery was only 2 1/2  weeks ago, it is a fact that you still have a long way to go in the healing process and you still have a lot of swelling. I would be patient with this. I don't know that you are going to drop 3 cup sizes, but without a doubt, it's going to be an improvement over now. Best of luck and keep the dialog open with your surgeon

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Lift More Than Reduction

I would need photos (or better an exam), but based on  your original cup size and the amount of tissue removed, I'd say you got more of a lift than a reduction.  No amount of swelling once resolved will lead to a three cup size reduction. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS