Mommy makeover advice! What type of sports bra should I get?

Hi my surgery is in 2 weeks a mommy makeover which type of sport bra should i get? Any advices on a tummy tuck recovery thank you!!

Thank you for your question. It is important not to wear a bra with wires.... preferable a soft sport bra with fabric that airs well. Best of luck 

Please ask your surgeon!

Supportive bras are very integral to any breast procedure and I would ask your surgeon what he recommends and do that for your case.

In my practice with my patients, I provide them with a zip front medium support sports bra as I feel these are easier to put on after breast surgery and help "centralize" and support the breast mounds. After things have healed up a bit more (weeks after surgery), I am a big fan of the Victoria Secret's VSX two cup support bra for patients with larger implants. This design has an inner cup with clasp as well as an outer bra and really helps support larger breasts, in my opinion.

Each surgeon will have his own recommendation, and I would encourage you to follow your own surgeon's advice on bra selection.

What type of sports bra

I recommend asking this question to your surgeon. Each surgeon has different protocols for post operative care. Post operatively my patients leave the OR in a surgical bra that they wear for three weeks. After three weeks I send them to an expert fitter to buy their first bras post op. 

Good luck!

Thank you for your question. Specific sports bras are something that you will want to discuss with your plastic surgeon. In general, I would recommend that you do not wear an underwire bra for at least six weeks, if a breast lift and/or breast augmentation were a part of your mommy makeover. With regards to your mommy makeover recovery, you will want to make sure that you are on a healthy diet with good protein intake, and are moving/walking around. Best of luck to you!

Any questions relative to getting ready for your surgery and relative to your post op care need to be addressed with the surgeon you have chosen as we all will have different regimens we prefer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Sports Bra After Mommy Makeover & Tummy Tuck Recovery

Thank you for your question. I recommend getting a sports bra that is supportive and opens in the front. This will help to avoid pulling on your incision soon after surgery. These types of sports bras are generally available at your local store (Target, etc.) and inexpensive. Your surgeon may have a specific brand that he/she likes.

Recovery from a tummy tuck can vary depending on the extent of your surgery. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting, heavy pushing or pulling, and any movement that may put tension on your incisions. You may be given a garment or abdominal binder to wear during this time. I suggest you talk to your surgeon about further details of your recovery.

Good luck!

Sports bra

Check with your plastic surgeon to see if he/she has any specific recommendations.  In general you want a sports bra that is supportive, but not too tight.  Avoid underwire.  Many patients find that bras that zip or fasten in the front are easier to manipulate when muscles are sore during recovery.

Camille Cash, MD