Large breast width (16cm), tiny rib cage (28 inches). I am discouraged bc I want projection without the weight of cc (Photo)

former gymnast, mom of two breast fed, weigh 135 muscular, height 5'4, long torso, Nordstrom measured 30-32 bra band! Ideal breast implant high profile based on look, projection, not as heavy, and for my activity level! In order to match my 16cm breast width I pretty much have to go massive cc (measured by plastic surgeon). I gained 70 pounds in pregnancy Nordstrom measured me at 32G (during pregnancy) insane and now my breast are destroyed!!! HELP ME I'm feeling discouraged! Any advice?

Mastopexia /lollipop scar/implants

Thanks for your photos. Performing only an implant procedure will be not enough for you. My advice to you would be a mastopexia surgery with implants and lollipop scar. Please consult with a PS...good luck

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation in a Small Chested Person

With your chest circumference, it is impossible for you to need a wide implant. Besides, you do not have to place the maximum width implant that you can. From what you have said, I would seek a second opinion with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who has treated others like you. It should be possible to obtain what you wish fairly easily.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation with a breast lift.  The lift will greatly improve your shape in addition to the implant.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

It's based on the width of your chest, not your breast

Measuring a breast is not a science.  It is a "guesstimate" of the pocket that can be created under the muscle from the edge of your sternum to the outside of where your breast SHOULD be.  Yes, you have wide breasts and those are a challenge.  But, I would bet that I may measure your "pocket width" as 12cm or so.  A high profile implant in that range will be around 350-400cc.  You REALLY need a lift as well -- that can narrow your breasts a bit and make it better match your implant.  I think it is worth your while to shop around a little.  Get at least 1 if not 2 more in-person consultations.  Selecting surgeons who are ASAPS members will ensure that they do a lot of cosmetic breast surgery and that they are boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs, I think that you will benefit from breast lifting, as well as breast augmentation surgery.  No need to be discouraged;  I think that with a well-planned/executed breast augmentation/lifting operation you should be able to reach your goals (good projection without too much volume).

When it comes to specific breast implant size/profile, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup”  or "massive" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

I want projection

Thank you for question and photos. You are a candidate for a mastopexy but it sounds like you're not interested in the scars. In order to get projection you will need either the ultra-high profile implant. Remember though, you will have very little superior fullness. If your bw is truly 16 cm, the implant will be large.