Could this be an air bubble, or is it the implant?

On my lower right side of the breast, I feel a bump that kind of clicks when I press in on it. The click isn't a sound really, more of a feeling. I am 10 days out from surgery and this is the first time I have felt this. I have 400 cc silicone unders and they look pretty good with no visible rippling.

A "clicking bump" under the skin following breast augmentation is probably the silicone implant you are feeling

Most likely what you are feeling is a small fold in the shell, or outer rubber layer, of the implant.  These very often occur along the bottom edge of implants, and they are due to positional changes with gravity or compression by the overlying tissues that create a small fold in the implant shell.  When you push on it, the fold will deform, and it might feel sort of stiff, or give a sort of "clicking" sensation.  My best advice is to run it by your surgeon so that he or she is aware and can examine the bump if need be.  Usually, when these things happen this early we expect them to improve, or "settle out," as the tissues relax and accommodate the implant.  As long as it isn't causing any pressure on the overlying skin, with redness, pain, or other changes, it is safe to simply observe this for awhile.  Best of luck.

Post op breast augmentation

you are more than likely feeling an edge of the implant. Always consult your plastic surgeon to be sure especially if you are concerned.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Your surgeon is the best resource for your answer

but from what you describe, and  if you are on the thin side, its likely the edge of the implant that you feel.

Curtis Wong, MD

Clicking sounds at bottom after BA

This sounds like you are feeling the implant edge.  However, air does get trapped in the implants pocket and may make sounds for a few weeks after surgery.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - sensation in one area that clicks

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.
  • You are probably feeling an edge of the implant now that the swelling has gone down a little.
  • It is nothing to worry about but let your surgeon know about i9t 
  • S/he can examine you to confirm this is what you are feeling.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Feeling the implant beneath the skin

Most likely, you are feeling the implant and as you press against it you feel it move. This is often the case if you are thinner and there is little tissue overlying the implant.If it persists and you are concerned, notify your doctor.

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Feeling the implant

What you are describing most probably represents feeling a small fold in the implant which is not being covered by the part of the breast that does not have muscle over the implant. This is very common in the laying down position and does not represent any problems at all. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Probably feeling the implant

Hello and congratulations on undergoing breast augmentation.  You are most likely feeling the breast implant where you have less muscle or tissue coverage.  Sounds like you have a great result.  Best to see your surgeon and discuss during your routine follow-up to be safe; remember that your breasts will undergo many changes over the next 1-3 months as the swelling subsides.  
Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

S/p BA

This could be either one. As swelling subsides, things like this that weren't apparent before can become so. Follow up with your surgeon for their evaluation and re assurance.

BA recovery

Thank you for your question. Your surgeon will be able to confirm for you at your next follow up appointment, but it's likely just a fold you are feeling in the implant. It's harmless, as long as it does not worsen or become visible. Definitely bring this to your surgeon's attention though. It is common to "hear" some of the air around the implant for the first week or so after surgery, but not typical to "feel" it. I hope that helps a little. Best wishes on your recovery.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon