I'm a 27 year-old male considering a mid face lift (cheek lift) due to loss of elasticity and thus sagging of the cheeks? Risks?

It's not extreme but it's enough to make me feel disappointed with my overall appearance. My question is, is it possible to due a lift with sutures? If so would it reduce the risk of complications? My fear are permanent nerve issues, chronic pain, numbness, etc. Being a male I'm also concerned about scarring around the ear. I like to still consider myself young and would hate to have any permanent injury as a result. Thank you, Brian.

Mid face lift

Your question is very difficult to answer without an actual photo.  As such, I think you need to see a facial plastic surgeon in person for a consultation to assess what you may or may not need.  You are quite young for any kind of rejuvenating surgery so make sure to see a board-certified surgeon who can give you an appropriate and realistic assessment.  Good luck~

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

27 year-old male considering a mid face lift (cheek lift) due to loss of elasticity and thus sagging of the cheeks?

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Thread lifts or other various methods of suspending the facial tissue does not last nor do they allow for removal of the excess facial skin (requires an incision around the front of the ear). 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles and there is excess facial fat in front and below the cheeks.  This combines to create an elongated oval shaped face.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 
     I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

27 Year Old Male wth Loss of Cheek Elasticity

I need to see pictures because it is very unusual or a healthy 27 year old male to have obvious changes in skin elasticity. There are many alternatives to improve cheek contour includIng injections of different filler, fat grafting, or implants. Consult with a surgeon who uses all these techniques because there are advantages and disadvantages of each.

Sagging cheeks?

it is impossible to answer this without photos. An examination is needed to give a proper answer. See an experienced surgeon to discuss risks vs. benefits. 

A Nonsurgical Mid Face Rejuvenation Can Provide Lift & Contouring Without Cutting Or Stitches

Without photos, I can only comment in the most general way. However, if you are concerned about the risks of aggressive, invasive surgery and have reservations about threadlifting (a minimally invasive procedure), you might consider starting with a completely nonsurgical approach to your sagging problem using volumizing fillers for cheek augmentation and lifting. Voluma XC, Radiesse Plus and Restylane Lyft may be used for this purpose. Results may last up to two years and would give you a good idea of the benefits of cheek lifting in your particular case. You would do well to seek consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in nonsurgical facial rejuvenation and augmentation. Good luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Cheek lift

Photos of you would help on this site, but more importantly, an in-office exam with an experienced plastic surgeon would be the first step for you. As you are still young, you may first consider the option of using fillers or fat injections to see if those help achieve your desired look. That way you avoid surgery and all the risks you outlined. If you do like the look, you can the opt for a more permanent procedure such as facial implants. A cheek "lift" is great for sagging skin, but in general, deflation is treated with volume replacement. I wish you the best.

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon

sagging cheeks

A full set of facial photographs required to make a determination about what may be needed.  An in-person examination is also required.  When patients have a flat maxilla  and a flat cheek profile, cheek implants may be considered.   Cheek implants are placed for patient's who need additional volume in the midface. Cheek  Implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes,are composed of Silastic, and are placed through an intra-oral approach under a brief general anesthesia.   For more information a hand many  before and after results of cheek implants, please see the link and the video