Eyes have gotten smaller through time and I'm wondering if I'm a candidate for ptosis surgery? (photos)

Over time it's gotten very difficult for me to expand my eyes and have gone to a neurologist many times thinking it was due to something other than ptosis but all I got was ptosis. I was wondering if surgery would cause my eyes to expand. I'm tired of people assuming I'm always tired or sleeping due to the difficulty of opening my eyes all the way. Please let me know if I can correct my eyes to expand my eyes to where I can have full vision and look more awake. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 7

You have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
First, despite what another surgeon indicated, ptosis surgery takes more time than just one week to heal from.  Most people take off about 10 days from work but this really depends on what you do for a living.  The critical thing for you is that yes you need ptosis repaired but you also need the upper eyelid folds corrected.  That requires a structured blepharoplasty.  That means tightening the upper eyelid platform skin to support the upper eyelid lashes and make them perky.  It means restructuring the multiple creases to make a single upper eyelid crease.  That is done by  performing an anterior levator ptosis surgery and an anchor blepharoplasty.  It all starts with a very detailed personal consultation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Ptosis Repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Looking at your photo I would say that you have Ptosis and are a candidate for ptosis repair.  I would suggest a complete examination by an oculoplastic surgeon.  The eyelids are dynamic structures and are best fully evaluated in person.  Good Luck.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello, looks like you may have upper lid ptosis (droopy lids). You should make an appointment with an Oculoplastic surgeon for an examination. Ptosis surgery can help improve the eyelid position. Best of luck. 

Droopy Eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question and photos. There are several techniques which can be used to lift your ptotic eyelids. See an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation and guidance.  Good luck,

See oculoplastic specialist for eyelid ptosis evaluation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You do have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis and should benefit from ptosis surgery. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment. See link and video below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

It does look like you have ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
surgery to repair ptosis is fairly straightforward in the hands of someone experienced and deals with a lot of eyelids. Assuming you are young and healthy, recovery should be less than a week. It is difficult to say for sure what the issue is and an in person consultation will best be able to make the correct diagnosis and send you down the correct medical or surgical path. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Ptosis repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question. I think you'd be a great candidate for ptosis repair with blepharoplasty. It would make your eyes look brighter, wider and more awake.  You should see an oculoplastic surgeon for a consultation.

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.