Is it possible to determine whether breast fat transfer results were due to a bad surgeon? (photos)

I had a fat transfer from abdomen to breast done June 2016 (6 months ago now). There is still so much scar tissue and hardness, it is lumpy and uneven. I am not happy with the results as you can see in the photos. I had 4 massage sessions post procedure. I have read that this could be the result of a bad surgeon.

Is it possible to determine whether breast fat transfer results were due to a bad surgeon?

Liposuction results are very much dependent upon the skills of the surgeon and the postsurgical healing phase.

Contour defects after liposuction

can occur but usually only from very aggressive suctioning.  You are thin and I'm not sure how much fat you wanted to transfer to your breasts but with the photos you provided, I would not have used your tummy for a donor site unless there was an obvious roll that could be harvested. I wouldn't say your surgeon is bad from your results but that judgment was impaired as most would have stopped harvesting before you got to your current situation.  But without knowing the interactions that occurred between the two of you, its really hard to provide objective advice.  After all, you may have wanted an aggressive suctioning and if so, then this is what happens.

Curtis Wong, MD

Contour irregularity of the abdomen after fat transfer harvest

Contour irregularity can occur anywhere fat is removed from; when performing fat removal, it requires the surgeon to carefully remove fat while not creating contour irregularities. A consultation is necessary to provide you further insight.

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS

Fat transfer to breasts

It is impossible to comment on your result without seeing your preop photos of both your abdomen and your breasts. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Natural breast augmentation with fat grafting

I appreciate your question

I perform a natural breast augmentation with fat. This can be removed from any unwanted areas including the breast itself as part of my lipo-lift procedure. I perform the fat grafting in multiple planes including under the muscle to give the best, most natural enhancement. Fat grafting is a great solution for someone who wants to bring their breast size up a cup or so and use natural tissue vs an implant. However, it can also be combined with an implant or used as a secondary procedure to fill in areas that are flat or thin. It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms or breast feeding. It can be a little lump or hard at first but tends to soften over time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS