What could've caused the reaction and what can I use to hydrate my skin to get rid of dead skin and moisture my face?

A few weeks ago I went to the dermatologist and I have decided to receive a chemical peal. I got 20% chemical peel. I was told that the peel would give like and itch sense however the peel actually stung and burned. My sister got the same peel as me the same day but did not have the same experience as a did. For weeks my skin was really dry and rough.

Chemical Peel

Thank you for your question. The minor stinging and burning sensation that you experienced has occurred for other patients in the past. The difference in initial responses between you and your sister is due to the fact that each patient is unique and reacts in a unique way to each procedure. Please contact your board certified facial plastic surgeon for a refresher on the recovery instructions you received, which should include best practices for reducing any of the stinging and burning sensation that you are experiencing. 

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your query. The effect of peel also depends upon the skin quality and texture, i.e if your skin is primed and hydrated, you are less likely to experience burning and stinging whereas if you have dry skin, you can experience scaling, burning or even Pih. Just moisturize your face well, you can use physiogel AI moisturizer and use a good SPF sunscreen, the pigmentation from the peel will reverse and you will get a glowing skin. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Peel

Thank you for your question. It is hard to determine the reaction you had without seeing photos as well as the type of peel you had done. You could have a different skin type then your sister so therefore reacted to the peel differently. You may have had an allergic response to one of the ingredients in the peel. I would recommend you return to your dermatologist for an evaluation to see what is going on with your skin. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist