I would like to know what the best treatment option would be for a very well defined jaw line? (Photo)

Even though I am fairly slim (size 6) and 29 years old, I persist in having fat under my chin. It remains there even when I lose weight. I just learned about Kybella and wanted to know if this would be the best way to achieve a dramatic jawline, or if chin liposuction would work best.

I would like to know what the best treatment option would be for a very well defined jaw line?

What procedure will best achieve a well-defined jaw line depends on the soft tissue (laxity or droopiness and volume) as well as the prominence of the bone/jaw.

Often with age, both men and women experience the drooping skin and increased fat volume at the angle of the jaw line known as jowls. A face lift typically does address the jowls. Most commonly a face and neck lift are performed at the same time which ideally will include liposuction of the jowls as well as tightening of the lower third of the face and neck. This will address the jowls and soften the appearance. Other “types” of face lift such as a mid face lift typically means that the only area of the face addressed is the mid face. This will not address the jowls and fully, although some improvement may be seen because of the tightening and suspension of the midface. However if there is no evidence of sagging skin or increased volume (jowls) sometimes there is a boney volume deficiency that can be corrected by increasing the appearance bone volume. This is more commonly seen and requested in men who want a “strong” or more masculine “jawline”.

Some options can include fillers that are designed to enhance the boney prominence but sometimes an implant can be placed to enhance the area as well. Additionally, if there is a more significant imbalance comparing the upper jaw (maxilla) and the lower jaw (mandible), sometimes this is addressed with surgical manipulation to reset the upper and or lower jaw.

Non surgical fat reduction technologies to address volume under the chin (submental fat) include
CoolSculpting and Kybella. CoolSculpting is non surgical fat reduction that works by freezing the fat. There is a Cool Mini applicator which is designed specifically to address the submental area. Kybella is an injection that reduces fat in the submental area. If there is a double chin that is mostly volume (fat) vs loose skin, then CoolSculpting (nonsurgical fat reduction using cold therapy), Kybella, injection that helps reduce focal fat under the chin), or liposuction (suctioning the fat under the chin) are all options. However, if there is loose skin present along with increased submental fat then a surgical neck lift is usually the procedure of choice.

Kybella

Thanks for your question and photos.  I would need to see some additional photos and angles of your face, but it looks like most of your fat is located beneath your chin.  If this is the case, then a product like Kybella might be ideal for you.  You would probably require 1-2 treatment sessions.  If you are also desiring to contour the sides of your neck and your jawline, then maybe liposuction is a better option.  I would recommend discussing your concerns and goals with a board certified plastic surgeon who is also certified to inject Kybella.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Kybella vs Coolmini vs Liposuction

Fantastic question! Good to know all of your options.
There are multiple factors that go into answering this question...
If there is a lot of fat, liposuction is your best bet. This can be done in-office under local anesthesia.
If surgery is not something you are comfortable with, Coolsculpting would be your best bet financially... as long as the Coolsculpting applicator fits and you are okay with more time to see full results (than liposuction). If your jaw is too small or the amount of fat too little, the CoolMini may not fit.
Lastly, if you have a small amount of fat and the CoolMini applicator doesn't fit your face, I would go with Kybella. There is a significant recovery period with Kybella and the product is not cheap. That is why I reserve it for people with a small amount of submental fat.
My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Best Treatment for well defined jaw

I would highly removed a combination of Thermage for radiofrequency skin tightening and Kybella to reduce permanently the submental fat.  This combination is highly effective at producing a beautiful neck line. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella Double Chin, Best Treatment

Sculpsure is the newest non-invasive ultrasound based fat reducer. You can expect up to 20% reduction of the fat in the belly and waist. Neck applications have not been FDA approved yet. Sculpsure may be repeated to obtain greater results obtained 6-8 weeks after the procedure.
Kybella can result in 10-15% reduction of fat similar to Coolshape. No procedure other than liposuction or laser liposuction will tighten the skin.
Liposuction typically reduces 50% of fat in one session.
The most dramatic results in the neck are achieved with a laser/liposuction Precision tx.
Please use this information when consulting in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. They will be most capable of advising what is best for you.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

KYBELLA Candidate

Hello katryze,
Thank you for your question and photos. Based on your photos and overall goals, I feel as though you would be a great candidate for KYBELLA treatment. Being that you are young and have good elasticity, the results of the procedure would be dramatic. We recommend about 2-3 treatments separated by 6 weeks. Typical expectation with this procedure are possible bruising, swelling, and mild tenderness. I would suggest you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for further information. Good luck!

Kindly,

Kouros Azar 

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for Chin Fat

Thank you for your question about Kybella.

Yes, Kybella works best in those patients who are younger with better skin elasticity and have a focal area of fat underneath the chin.

To be sure it would work for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have Kybella treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Double Chin

To date, Kybella is limited to treatment of the submental fat. It is not yet indicated for areas outside of the central aspect of the neck. If you desire faster results, surgery might be indicated. If you want a non surgical treatment, and you do not require treatment in other areas, Kybella may be for you. 

Best treatment of jaw line, Kybella or neck lift.

A double chin is caused by submental fat around the neck which creates a wrinkle or visible neck crease between the chin and the neck. A double chin defomity can be treated by surgical and non-surgical procedures. The goal of the procedure is to improve the cervicomental angle or chin to neck line. A new non-surgical injection has been approved by the FDA for treating the double chin. Kybella may be a good option for you as well. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella candidate

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos with us. As a trainer for Kybella, I spend a lot of time teaching the safe and effective practice of administering Kybella, and assessing patients to help determine if they would be a candidate. As a plastic surgeon, I can also offer different options such as a neck lift and/or liposuction as well as many other non-surgical procedures that can affect the neck such as the Coolsculpting mini, Ulthera and Profound. As with any procedure, the experience and technique is the most important determinant of a good and safe outcome.  I would visit with a plastic surgeon who has experience in the non-surgical options so you can get the most informed consultation and options that might be right for you.