Is chin implant crooked? 1 month post-op (Photos)

I got a chin implant approximately one month ago but it looks to be slightly crooked. I will be visiting my doctor again at the end of the month but would love to get some second opinions. If it is crooked what options do I have for correcting it or removing it? I have included a pre-op picture and a current one at one month post-op. Thank you for any responses!

Is My Post Surgical Augmented Chin Uneven?

I am sorry you are concerned about the possibility of an uneven chin augmentation.  
Your chin pre-operatively, just like everyone else's chin, is made up of two mounds of mentalis muscles, and the fusion of two pieces of mandibular bone (one from either side) that come together in the middle.  No one has a completely symmetrical chin to start out with.  One or two millimeter differences are almost impossible to spot pre-operatively, but post-operatively these become very noticeable, especially to the patient who has had the augmentation.
It is human nature to be critical after cosmetic surgery.  
When I was in the Army, and once my head was shaved, I saw my protruding ears in all their glory for the very first time.  I hated them.  After I had my ears set back by a Board Certified plastic surgeon, I noticed there was an 8 mm difference in how far one ear stuck out from the head than the other.  It drove me crazy.  I asked everyone if they saw what I was seeing, and they all said "No".  Today, my ears don't bother me.  I got what I was looking for.  I now realize that perfect is the enemy of good.
That being said, chin implants do sometimes slide to one side or another if not anchored with screws.  I recommend you speak with your plastic surgeon about your concerns.

Chin implant - is it crooked?

Thank you for asking about your chin implant.
  • If your chin implant is crooked, then it will need revision to replace and secure it.
  • But you are still very swollen - it is best to wait at least 3 and ideally 6 months to let the swelling go down.
  • However if your surgeon on examination determines that the implant is significantly out of place, s/he maywant to operate sooner than 6 months.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Dear cdj777, I would speak with your surgeon as he/she will know best the cause of the current asymmetry. This could be from an implant being mis-placed, from swelling, or from your natural anatomy which has become more apparent with the implant. After your examination the surgeon will discuss your available options. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Crooked chin

It is too early to judge your result.  Swelling may be asymmetric and not the implant.  I would wait a few months before making a final decision.  If then, you have significant asymmetry, you could consider revision.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD