9 Weeks After Breast Implants Possible Infection? (photo)

Im 9 wks post op and for the past 2 wks my incisions have been opening in very small little holes and spitting sutures out my Dr said it was a suture reaction. The right breast has a fluid filled pocket almost like a blister under the incision? Then yesterday I began to feel sick and achy, my left breast in a matter of hours is very red very sore and very hot to the touch, I ran a 101 fever all night, my Dr placed me on SMZ-TMP and Cipro, the redness is spreading, I feel like I have the flu?

Sorry, but this is an infection, and your implant(s) probably need removal.

Unless your breast redness and edema is secondary to cellulitis within the breast itself and not within the implant pocket, there is NO antibiotic regimen that can sterilize an infected implant. NO plastic surgeon wants to admit this, and I have taken care of patients from other surgeons who have had their patients on IV antibiotics costing thousands of dollars, recheck visits and even hospitalizations for infectious disease consultations and yet more (expensive) antibiotics, and fussed over infected breast implants for up to a year! This unfruitful cycle is stopped only by removal of the infected implants.

If your implants are infected, they should be removed, the infection (now easily) treated, and appropriate time allowed to elapse for scar tissue to soften and mature before replacing your implants. This can take weeks to months, and even up to a year may not be unusual. (This, of course, is why no plastic surgeon wants to admit this to their patient, and why the bad news often falls to someone else who will tell you the truth.)

If your symptoms resolve quickly, completely, and do not recur once your antibiotics are stopped, your implants may have been spared. But if any bacteria entered from your tiny suture "reactions" and got into your implant pocket, your implant is now infected, and antibiotics cannot salvage your implant's sterility--it must be removed. And since it looks quite silly with one implant in and one out, you should probably have both of them out, cure the infection, mature your scarring, and come back for another surgery in the future.

BTW, I personally believe there is no such thing as "suture reaction." These  are stitch abscesses from skin bacteria, usually within the interstices of a braided absorbable suture (like Vicryl). Perhaps this is what your surgeon used, and why a monofilament suture like Monocryl would have been better.

You should see your surgeon (I hope s/he is an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon, who will know that implant removal is the right thing, not expensive hospitalization, IV antibiotics, and infectious disease consultations) who can determine the next steps and the proper timing. This requires in-person examination, not over-the-phone prescriptions. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Infection after surgery

You definitely have an infection from te sound of it and should get your affected imant removed. Best of luck. 

Full-Blown Breast Implant Infection

Unfortunately you have developed an implant infection and treatment is needed immediately. I doubt that the implant can be saved but, at the minimum, you need IV antibiotics and a reoperation to either remove or wash out and replace the implant. This should not be delayed until tomorrow.

Implant Infection

After the implants are removed and you have been adequately treated with antibiotics, you can consider replacing the implants in 3 to 6 months.  Give yourself time to consider this option. 

Fever after breast augmentation

This is a serious problem.  by the time I have answered this you will have resolved the issue , one way or the other.  If the fever and redness are not resolving with oral antibiotics will be required.   Ulltimately, the implant may need to be removed, temporarily.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Breast implant infection

Thank you for your question and photographs. I am very sorry to hear about your situation.  Based on your symptoms of flu-like complaints, low grade fever, and the pain and redness of the breast, I would say that you have an active breast infection.  I believe that you should be seen urgently and you may require hospital admission for IV antibiotics.  It is very possible that you may lose this implant due to colonization by the bacteria.  Contact your surgeon and be seen today if possible. 

Severe infection after breast augmentation

Thanks for the photos. I am sorry to hear about your experience. This is a severe infection involving both breast tissues and the implant pocket. The only way the infection will be cleared is to remove the implant. The sooner it's done, the quicker the infection will resolve.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Infection

This is very very rare, but can happen.  This needs to be addressed today, and not tomorrow.  See your surgeon as soon as possible.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Infection likely

Im jsut curious, did your doctor actually see you or did he prescribe the antibiotics over the telephone? I agree with all the other surgeons, this requires immediate attention and hospital admission. You may require removal of the implant.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

9 Weeks After Breast Implants Possible Infection?

Until proven otherwise you have an infection! In my opinion either high dose I.V. antibiotics and/or implant removal are needed. BE SEEN ASAP! not over the phone.