Can my breasts be fixed?

I replaced my implants because one ruptured. I needed a lift and my areola's reduced. The lift is not noticeable and my areola's are now misshaped. can this be fixed

About Capsular Contracture

One of the most common problems is breast capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer #implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of #capsular contracture.Saline implants may deflate spontaneously. When the patient has significant #symptoms, complete or partial leakage of their saline implant, or concerns regarding silicone leakage, it is recommended that the implant is removed and exchanged. Frequently, this is performed on both sides depending upon the age of the implant. Capsulotomy or opening of the capsule may be required or frequently capsulectomy, which is removal of the scarred capsule, is r#ecommended to ensure adequate pocket dimensions.New implants may then be placed in the same existing position or may undergo a change of #placement frequently from submammary to subpectoral position and, on occasion, the other way around.

Can my breasts be fixed?

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns after previous question. Although good advice would require photographs or in-person evaluation, it sounds like your concerns can be addressed with additional breast surgery. Assuming you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon, I would suggest that you discuss your concerns/goals directly with him/her, preferably in front of a full-length mirror. Working together you will come up with a good plan to improve your outcome. Best wishes.

Fixed

Without photos, I cannot specifically comment about your breasts. I would suggest meeting with your surgeon and discussing all your concerns and options. The areolae can usually be revised and the lift redone.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Correction of ptosis and misshaped areolas.

Thank you for your question.  Sometimes the smallest things can be a big distraction.  Making adjustments to prior surgery can sometimes be a more involved process.  Whenever an outcome that we desire does not come to fruition we wonder why;  either the surgery was not executed properly, one's tissues did not hold up to the changes(more common), or the improper procedure was selected.  Regardless one now needs to determine why one procedure did not work before making recommendations.  Maybe it was the correct procedure but not done properly or it was done properly but not the procedure that would have been predicted to work, or the correct procedure done correctly but the body did not heal the way one would have predicted.   I would start with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you.   Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon