Getting Rhinoplasty at 19. Any suggestions? (photos)

In about half a year I'd like to get a nose job. It's not that my nose is that awful, I just don't have any personal problems with plastic surgery and figure that the earlier I get it the more time I have to benefit from it. My worry is that because my face will keep growing/maturing it the nose job won't be as accurate. Does this have any truth to it?

Rhinoplasty at 19

It is appropriate to consider rhinoplasty at age 19.  I generally consider male rhinoplasty at age 17-18 , female rhinoplasty at age 15-16.  Make sure you see an experienced surgeon and that computer imaging is offered preoperatively.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear oulmman7130, This is a very common age for male patients to have rhinoplasty surgery. Generally speaking your nose has reached its adult size for females around the age 15 and for males 17 to 18. If you decide to have rhinoplasty surgery then you are fine to proceed. Seek some consultations with experts in the field and have imaging performed so you can see the proposed changes rhinoplasty would provide. review the surgeons before and after photographs to ensure natural looking male rhinoplasty results. The video above describes the imaging process and the link below has many examples of rhinoplasty before and afters. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty at age 19

A rhinoplasty procedure at age 19  is certainly acceptable, as long as the face is stopped growing which it usually is in that age.  Look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component of their practice to rhinoplasty and performs them often on a weekly basis.  Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery.

Ideal age for rhinoplasty surgery?

At the age of 19 your nose has stopped its development and if it bothers you you're a good candidate for a cosmetic rhinoplasty.  Do your research carefully and meet with several rhinoplasty experts before proceeding so that you can evaluate before-and-after photos and and see if the changes would be appropriate for you and pleasing. Good luck and best wishes.  Enjoy your results. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Getting Rhinoplasty at 19. Any suggestions?

It is generally accepted that the nose reaches adult size in most patients at 15 in females and 16-17 in males. A rhinoplasty can be performed after that time.
Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, evaluating your level of maturity, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure with you and your parents would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Since you are an adult male your nose is mature.  If you decide to have Rhinoplasty surgery, you would be a candidate.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Hi, at 19, facial growth is usually complete so rhinoplasty is safe if you decide to proceed. Your nose will not grow further so results now should be lifelong. Just make sure you see someone whose philosophy is maintain nose strength so you don't get complications later on in life. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at 19

Great question and insight.  By 16-17, the male mid face has reached peak maturity.  Any changes that you have done at this point, will not change due to your facial skeleton further maturing or changing.  There are various things that can happen after rhinoplasty depending on what particular techniques and maneuvers need to be done - but that is a conversation best saved for your consultation.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello. You are a candidate if you decide to have surgery on your nose. You are an adult male and your nose is mature now. If you proceed with surgery, the results will be accurate. Hope this helps.

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS