Kybella is it right for me? 45 yrs old. (photo)

I have always been thin. I've gained a few pounds from not taking care of my diet amongst other things. I've began my journey to be healthier however knowing my chin area will not be the cure to rid everything else. I do want to feel a little more confident to get started. I would like my chin refined and rid double chin and neck line. Is this the right treatment for me?

Kybella & ThermiTight for the neck

Thank you for your question. From looking at your photos I would suggest Kybella in conjunction with ThermiTight. Kybella will help define your jawline but it also looks like you will need some extra skin tightening which is why I would suggest ThermiTight. Kybella is an injectable that has been recently FDA-approved for the treatment of submental fullness (double chin). Kybella will permanently destroy fat cells in the targeted area as well as offering limited skin tightening to the treated area. On average patients need 2-4 treatments at 1 month intervals for optimal results. ThermiTight is a great minimally invasive procedure to treat skin laxity. ThermiTight delivers radio frequency energy subcutaneously to tighten the skin in the neck. If you are interested please schedule a full-person consultation with a qualified doctor.

Kybella Double Chin

Kybella can result in 15-20% reduction of fat similar to Coolshape. Younger patients usually don't need skin tightening after fat reduction as the skin shrinks enough on its own.
Liposuction typically reduces 50% of fat in one session. RF treatments like Velashape and Thermitight plus Deoxycholic Acid the active ingredient of Kybella can result in somewhat more than 15% reduction in the amount of double chin fat with three to five sessions. Most non-invasive treatments are not proven to be safe nor FDA approved for treatment of the jawline/jowls.
Radiofrequency treatments like Thermage produce quite temporary results requiring periodic repeat treatments. Ultherapy usually does not work.
The most dramatic results in the neck are achieved with a laser/liposuction with Precision tx or Smartlipo; results noticeable at ten days.
Patients should do the math (all these treatments cost nearly the same) and go for what is in their best interest and most reliable. No treatments are guaranteed; legitimate physicians should not promise results. Each option has the possiblity of side effects.
Please use this information when consulting in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. They will be most capable of advising what is best for you.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Kybella and Submental Fat NYC

I would definitely recommend that you first lose weight since the submental fat area is in a broad area.  While Kybella would definitely help, you would be best served by losing the weight first.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr.Green

Kybella is it right for me? 45 yrs old.

Kybella® fat melting injections are perfect for patients with extra neck fat. As this is an new technique, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Choosing Kybella, or the Right Procedure for YOUR Neck

Based on the photos, I would recommend that you explore several different options. Kybella is indicated in specific regions of the neck (i.e. directly under the chin). It may not address all of the areas that could benefit from fat removal. Liposculpting would likely provide the most comprehensive treatment for your neck and is worth discussing with your treating physician. Other treatment options would include cool mini, or even a combination of approaches. This should not be a cookie cutter approach and should be based on an in-person evaluation to also determine if a skin tightening procedure may also be required.
Kybella is a perfectly safe and effective treatment in the right physician's hands, when used on the right patient. However, fat under the chin is more complex than you might guess (sometimes the "fat" is more loose skin than fat, or fat below the muscle, which is not reachable through injectable procedures).
You’ll need to see a trained Kybella physician injector who also performs these other procedures to confirm that and get an unbiased opinion, but I think you’re on the right track. Best of luck!

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella right for me?

A careful analysis would be in order for your chin and neck.  It appears your submental fullness extends beyond the usual areas for Kybella and might better be addressed with targeted liposuction if you are willing to undergo an invasive procedure or possibly a combination of CoolSculpting and Kybella.  This allows for a more comprehensive treatment of all areas.  Be sure to ask about potential post treatment skin laxity after any of these treatments.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella Candidate?

Thank you very much for your question, and for providing the photos.

While you do have submental fullness, some of the fullness does extend out toward the side of your neck into regions where Kybella isn't recommended.  You would also likely need a number of treatments to get a great result.  For those reasons, I would consider liposuction, as this will take care the fullness on the side of the neck, contour the jawline more effectively, and give you the result sooner than if you had multiple sessions of Kybella.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Without examining you I cant be entirely sure but it appears as though you would probably be a great candidate for kybella. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Kybella is one option for treatment of a double chin

Thank you for your question and photos! Kybella is one option for treatment of a double chin and I think you would get a nice result with Kybella, especially when combined with a weight loss plan like you mentioned.  Based on the amount of submental fullness demonstrated in your photos, liposuction may also be another treatment to consider. Some things to evaluate when deciding between Kybella and liposuction are cost, number of treatments, downtime, etc.

Ultimately, I recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified physician trained to perform both of these procedures who can evaluate you in person and help you determine which treatment would be best for you.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, it appears you would be a better candidate for liposuction.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz