Is constant piercing pain under breast augmentation incision and tucking of skin below incision normal? (Photo)

Since surgery day (14 days ago) I have had this hot piercing constant pain under my right breast, I first thought it was from the edge of my compression Garment but It continues even when it's off and I ensure nothing is pressing on the area hurting. I have noticed there is a tucking appearance of the skin on my incision pulling downwards to where I believe the pain originates from, could this be causing it and if not what is? And what is the tucking look at scar area? Thanks

After breast augmentation: Pain under incision is normal and will resolve

The tucking and pain you have under your breasts at two weeks after your breast augmentation is an inflamed vein. This is common and is called Mondor's Syndrome. I advise my patients that this inflammation usually subsides by the 6 or 7th week after surgery and that anti-inflammatory medication, like ibuprofen, if they can tolerate it, will help while they are waiting during for it to resolve. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Mondors Syndrome

Thanks for your question and photo.  What you are seeing is a small. superficial thrombosed (clotted) vein.  This is called Mondors Syndrome, and is not uncommon after breast augmentation.  This is self limited, and will resolve with time.  The use of NSAIDs can be helpful, as well as massage to the area. The puckered appearance will improve as you heal.  Discuss this with your PS, but this should be fine.  Best Regards.

Pain Under Breast From "Mondor's Cord" After Breast Augmentation

• The photo you have provided shows what appears to be a "Mondor's cord," which is a small vein of the chest with a blood clot in it.  This is also known as superficial thrombophlebitis. 
  • With time this will dissolve, your pain will go away, and everything will be fine. 
  • In the meantime, Advil a few times a day can help with the discomfort.
  • ALSO, this blood clot is not one of those worrisome blood clots that you may have heard about, such as a DVT (deep vein thrombosis).  What you have is superficial and poses no health risk at all. 
  • This can occur after breast augmentations, but will resolve. 
  • Thanks for sharing, and definitely show you plastic surgeon!

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Pain under breast

Thanks for your inquiry, I believe you have Mondor's cord, which is an inflamed vein.  Ask your surgeon if you can use Advil, otherwise it usually resolves in time, good luck.  

Mondor's cord responds to NSAIDs and heat

Thanks for your question and the photo. Sorry for the discomfort you are having. As has been pointed out, this is Mondor's syndrome where a vein has clotted. It is helpful to take NSAIDs and massage the area. Warm compresses are also helpful. It is nothing serious and not related to DVTs for example. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD