Can an Alloderm hammock be removed during breast deconstruction? (Photo)

I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction a year ago and am now considering "going flat." When removing an implant, can the dermal matrix be cut out and the muscle sutured back into place? I'm curious because I'd like to avoid the visible bulge it might be cause and I'd like to remove as much cadaver tissue as possible because I've never been 100% comfortable with using it.

Can an Alloderm hammock be removed during breast deconstruction?

At this point, the acellular dermal matrix has become "part of you". Its removal may involve removal of tissue that otherwise would not be necessary removed,  thereby causing more trauma than necessary.  On the other hand, if your plastic surgeon is planning on removing the skin where the dermis has been placed, it's removal will automatically occur.

Discuss your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, who knowing who knows your physical examination as well as the planned procedure and will be better able to advise you.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Removing Alloderm with removal of reconstructive breast implants

Thank you for asking about your breast deconstruction.

• Your surgeon won't know how much Alloderm s/he can remove until surgery.
  • Some of the Alloderm may be incorporated into your own tissues - and best left alone.
  • Some may be easy to identify and separate - to avoid a visible bulge.
  • You are not alone in having reservations about cadaver tissue, it's a natural reaction.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry to hear that the reconstruction has not done well for you.  Visit with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  In my practice I have removed all implanted material and excess skin to get a patient flat.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon