Is this just bruising or a hematoma? (Photo)

I had 450 cc silicone breast implants. My left breast has yellowish bruising near the crease incision. My right breast, however, has deep, purple bruising. It is not really hard or super painful.

Hematoma?

Bruising can occur after a breast augmentation and your bruising may or may not be normal. An exam in person would help determine that.

Is this just bruising or a hematoma?

Thank you for your question and photograph. This is most commonly a bruise that will resolve over the next 2-3 weeks, especially if you have little pain and no firmness.  If you have any differences between this side and your left it would be best to have your surgeon evaluate you.  Best wishes.

Bruising or hemtoma

Dear lesliebreen9191,

Thank you for your question. It is best to see your operating surgeon in person to determine if this is normal bruising or a hematoma. If you have had an increase in pain and swelling it could be a hematoma, however it is not possible to diagnose this without an in person evaluation. I wish you the best of luck. 

Bruise vs hematoma

Hello, based on the photo provided it is not possible to tell whether this is normal bruising or if there could be a hematoma as well.  If one breast is much more swollen than the other it is best to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Is this just bruising or a hematoma? = follow up with your plastic surgeon #breastimplatns #breastaugmentation

Patients with questions and concerns about their breast augmentation with implants healing process should address those concerns with the plastic surgeon that performed the operation.

John Mesa, MD

Is this just bruising or a hematoma?

Please see your surgeon for an exam and diagnosis. Do not rely on internet advice. That said my guess is that it is bruising. However pain pressure and swelling could be a hematoma.

Hematoma?

From your photograph, it is difficult to tell what is going on.  It is not uncommon to have some bruising that migrates down to the bottom of the breast with gravity. With a hematoma along with the bruising is an obvious increase in size in the affected breast.  If you are concerned, I recommend going back to your operating plastic surgeon for an examination.  Best of luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS