I Am 67 and in Need of Umbilical Hernia Re-repair, Also Considering Tummy Tuck at the Same Time? I Have Asthma, Generally.

controlled, and had superficial blood clots around right knee 5 months ago. Success of surgery and what kind of recovery?

Asthma and surgery

If your asthma is optimally controlled the risk is very small and you can undergo major surgery without significant asthma complications. Most anesthesiologists I have worked with will recommend that you take your asthma medicine the prior to surgery with a sip of water and bring your inhalers to the surgery center. In addition, steroids are given just prior to anesthesia in most patients any way which helps prevent asthmatic complications.
On the other hand, if your asthma is poorly controlled, or you are steroid-dependent, you are at increased risk and therefore it is recommended that your asthma specialist provide any needed specific medical preparation prior to surgery including a written plan to give to your surgeon and anesthesiologist regarding asthma medication recommendations pre- and post-surgery. This will include a complete pre-surgical evaluation including pulmonary function test results, physical examination, and review of your medications and past medical problems. If your pulmonary function tests are not optimal your asthma doctor and/or anesthesiologist may choose to postpone surgery until your asthma is under optimal control prior to giving surgical clearance. In addition, it is advisable that you contact that anesthesiologist beforehand to discuss any issues that might arise and their management. . This is because surgery may cause an asthma flare or related bronchospasm during or immediately after surgery. Make sure you tell the anesthesiologist and your surgeon the amount and type of steroids you take so additional steroids can be given to prevent adrenal insufficiency which can result in a sudden blood pressure drop.

Yes it can be done!

Full Abdominoplasty can be combined with umbilical hernia repair and done under one anesthesia time. We have to take your age and medical history under the consideration. Typically patients over 50 years old need to be cleared for the surgery by the primary physician. That includes the blood lab work and EKG.  You primary physician will decide what other tests need to be ordered depending on your health history. Once the requirements are met and the patient is healthy we can proceed with surgery. The safety of the patient is always the most important. Please schedule the consultation with experienced plastic surgeon and hopefully you will be able to proceed with the procedure.

Tummy Tuck at 67

My mother had the same situation she had an inisional hernia, and wanted to get rid of her bulge. I fixed her hernia and did her tummy tuck. she was 70 at the time now ten years later she still plays tennis and swims 3 times a week. The only difference is your superfical clots. You need to remain active till the day of surgery and start walking the day of the surgery. During the surgery you should have compression device on your legs to prevent blood stagnation. Extra care to hemostsis should be given during surgery and drains placed. In the recovery blood thinner will need to be started.  

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Appropriateness of tummy tuck

My concern is your medical condition. If you have had blood clots in the past year, the first question is whether you are on blood thinners. If so, I would sincerely doubt that your medical doctor will clear you for elective surgery until at least a year has elapsed. It is impossible to comment on surgical success and recovery without knowing much more about your situation, both abdominal and in terms of general health.

Tummy tuck in the 60's

Tummy tuck should be a safe procedure, even at age 67, however we would suggest medical clearance or a 'team' approach with your family physician. The umbilical hernia and perhaps an overnight observation stay might be allowed under Medicare. The tummy tuck with repair of the hernia could also be considered as an outpatient or even office based procedure if you are fit and medical concerns are few.