I am 67 years old, is that an appropriate age for breath reduction?

Age limit for breast reduction

There is no age limit for having a breast reduction. Large breasts can cause a life time of neck and back pain. Often breast reduction is covered by insurance. A more appropriate criteria than age is that the patient is in good physical health. Make sure you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. You can find a surgeon in your area by going to ASPS.org. Good luck!

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Medical clearance prior to surgery

Breast reduction can be done at any age as long as the woman is in good health. I have done patients in their 70’s without complications. I recommend you see your family physician or internist for clearance for a 3 to 4 hour operation under general anesthesia. Once you have approval from your physician then consult a plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Assuming you are in good health you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations performed, regardless of the patient's age.   In your case, you may want to see your primary care or internists prior to consultation with a plastic surgeon. Ask for a medical workup ( history, physical, EKG…) and make sure that you are medically “optimized".

Then seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. I prefer the use of goal pictures in this communication process.  Most patients seeking this operation wish to have their breasts reduced enough to help decrease/alleviate symptoms but retain enough breast tissue to  retain upper and lower body proportionality.

Hopefully your only regret after this operation will be “I wish I had done it sooner”.

Breast Reduction at 67 years of age

It is very possible for you to have a breast reduction at 67, as long as you are in good health. I have had several patients in their late 60's that have had a breast reduction, and they are thrilled. Be sure to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

67 years is appropriate for Breast Reduction

Hello
67 would be reasonable age to have Breast Reduction provided you are fit to have an Anaesthetic and your general health is good. 
The benefits of a Breast Reduction outweigh the risks, as it helps improve your symptoms and quality of life. My patients who had breast reduction usually say they wished the did it earlier.
All the very best

Age with breast reduction

Hi. As long as you a fit and healthy then being 67 is not a reason to not have elective surgery - anaesthesia is very safe and the risks are minimal. Breast reduction surgery improves symptoms such as back/neck pain and allows people to be more active and it will be easier to finf clothes that fit. As with all elective surgery the decision in the end comes down to whether the symptoms bother you sufficiently to have the surgery. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Age and Breast Reduction

There are no age related restrictions with breast reduction surgery. If you are symptomatic, that is, have chronic, refractory back and neck discomfort associated with larger breasts, the surgery will certainly help you. It is important that your personal medical doctor feels that the procedure is safe, and many surgeons would require that you be seen for medical clearance. Also, it is important that you you are up to date with your mammographic/ breast ultrasound studies, so to minimize the chance of finding any suspicious tissue during the procedure. The tissue that is removed should always be examined by a pathologist as a matter of routine.

Wilfred Brown, MD

67 yr old breast reduction

There is no age limit on having a breast reduction. As long as you are fit and healthy and have realistic expectations following discussion with your PS then there is no reason you could not have a breast reduction.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon