At 65 with Loose Abdominal Skin and a Fat Tummy, Will Lipo Help Me? (photo)

I'm 65 in good health, 5'5", 137lbs but I've always had a fat tummy. I really can't afford a tummy tuck but what is a mini tummy tuck? Will Lipo be enough or will I just have a flat stomach and even more loose skin? Thank you so much. I really want to look better in my clothes but don't need to lose weight especially.

Liposuction vs. abdominoplasty

Your posted photos show a protruding abdomen with loose abdominal muscles and excess skin above and below the level of the belly button. There is little excess fat there to liposuction. The fold of excess skin extends back just past the front line of the armpit. If you do just liposuction it will not give you a flat stomach because of the amount of loose muscle unaffected by liposuction. Your not needing to lose weight corroborates my statement that there is little fat to liposuction.

A mini tummy tuck only addresses excess skin below the belly button level, does not involve muscle tightening and is inadequate to meet your needs. Laser or ultrasonic assissted liposuction will not shrink the skin enough to remove most of the excess. Therefore, a standard tummy tuck is warranted.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

At 65 with Loose Abdominal Skin and a Fat Tummy, Will Lipo Help Me?

An exam would be necessary to determine this with certainty, but a tummy tuck to remove skin and fat and tighten the abdominal wall would probably produce a better result.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Loose Abdominal Skin and Fatty Tissue

If you look hard enough you will probably be able to find someone willing to do liposuction on you, but I think you would be very disappointed with the results. In order to address the issues of your abdomen, a tummy tuck is really your only option. This will remove the excess skin and fatty tissue, restore the abdominal wall muscles, and tighten the entire stomach area. A "mini" tummy tuck takes less skin and fat: not a good option for you. I would suggest that you focus on your specific goals as you do your research-- be careful not to opt for a different procedure simply because it is less expensive. The expected results from these different procedures are not the same, and you will be doing yourself a disservice by choosing a procedure based on cost.

Good luck!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Lipo alone not ideal

Liposuction will help reduce the fat but will make the skin hang more. This will  still be noticeable in clothing. A mini really won't overcome the loose skin- just a little. I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. At least a hands on exam will allow for a better analysis and one on one discussion of the goals and expectations.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will do minimal

I believe that from your photo some of the fat is visceral (internal) fat and that you likely have looser abdominal muscles and lax skin.  I would highly suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon (or several) to get your options explained.  Liposuction alone or a mini abdominoplasty are unlikely to give you a result that you will like.

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction versus tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and posting pictures. Your are a better candidate for lateral tension abdominoplasty, however, liposuction may give you some results. You would need to have medical clearance and full examination with clear understanding of what the results of the procedure would be prior to engaging.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS