I am 41 & 200lbs. Large Volume Lipo? (photos)

My teens, though made to think I was fat was 5'3" 125; sexually assaulted at 14 led to deep depression & weight gain (approx. 150lb). Grad H.S. went to military (135lb) Completed service, came home, met ex & had son. Hard pregnancy; bedrest 20-39wks +50lbs. Got to avg 160lbs. 2011 had horrific fatal car accident lost significant other depression set back in... gained 40lb. Gallbladder removed. Consistent current weight (200) despite efforts. No miracles expected - just quality/safe results.

Liposuction Goals

Liposuction is one of the most common, as well one of the most commonly misunderstood cosmetic procedures performed by plastic surgeons. Liposuction, or suction assisted lipectomy (SAL) as it is also known, allows a surgeon to contour a patient’s shape and address those areas resistant to diet and exercise. The goal of liposuction should be an improved contour (not a goal weight). 

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure and is best performed on patients who are at or near their target weight. Generally, I recommend potential patients be at a healthy stable (approximately 6 months) weight or within 10-15 lbs of their goal weight. Best results are achieved in patients with a  BMI less than 30.

The safe limit of large volume liposuction is generally considered to be 5 liters (although recent studies suggest there may be a BMI correlate which is higher for higher BMI patients). This upper limit only amounts to an 11 lbs. loss.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Large volume liposuction?

Thank you for asking about your large volume liposuction.

• First of all, thank you for your military service to our country.
  • I am so very sorry that you had such a difficult childhood made so much worse by sexual assault.
  • And had further crises as an adult. 
  • I applaud your taking steps to take back your life!
  • Your photos show that a tummy tuck will help your abdomen more than liposuction - 
  • Skin is stretched and muscles loose.
  • Liposuction of the back and flanks would help your contour a lot.
  • At the moment, your BMI is above 35 - you will get your best results with a BMI of 30 or lower.
  • Is there any way you can lose weight to 170? If so, you would be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck (if you wanted it) and liposuction of the flanks, back and hips.
  • If not, then a 5L liposuction of the torso - especially flanks and back - would be quite safe and might motivate you to lose weight afterwards but fat will return to new areas if you don't lose weight.
  • Another option is a gastric bypass - which might help you lose a substantial amount of weight.
  • I suggest you discuss your options with your regular doctor and a plastic surgeon so that YOU can decide what the best approach will be for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

High BMI Lipo

You should investigate Sono Bello. They have extensive experience with high BMI liposuction. I don't know where you live but they are a nationwide company. 

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Large Volume Liposuction

Hi. Sorry to hear about your history personally, emotionally & physically. 

Alot of us struggle with weight. It's also not uncommon to hit a plateau in your weight loss journey, and that is when surgery becomes a consideration.

Thank you for providing photos with your questions, it allows me to give you more advice. 

You are a candidate for liposuction in some of the areas such as, waist, hip, torso (from what I can see in the pictures) but for the Abdomen area, an Abdominoplasty would be the recommended procedure to achieve an optimal result. The Abdominoplasty will allow us to remove & tighten the lose skin as well as tighten your belly muscles. If we did liposuction on your abdomen it will make the lose skin worse . Both procedures can be done at the same time, that way we are taking care of the lose skin & helping reduce volume in the other areas.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon