I'm 6 weeks after breast augmentation. My scars changed the color. Is this normal? (photo)

What do you think.It looks normal? I'm 6 weeks after breast augmentation. I feel good.I remembered my scars 2 weeks ago .I was 1 mouth after surgery,so my scars were white. I was so happy. But right there are changed the color .Like a red-brown and feels weird inside.(itching,pain)

Normal progression

It can take years for the scars to fully mature and the color to get to the point where it is not apparent.  

Breast Augmentation scars

Thank you for your question.Your scars appear to be healing nicely.  Skinmedica scar recovery gel  used twice a day is an option for you. Discuss scar care with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Normal scar

It appears your scars are healing well at this point 6 weeks out from surgery. Scar care/creams have been shown to improve scarring. Ask your surgeon his/her preference in regards to timing of this aftercare.

I'm 6 weeks after breast augmentation. My scars changed the color. Is this normal?

Your incisions appear to be healing normally. What I tell my patients is, the only scar treatment that has been proven to work is Silicone Strips worn 24/7 for 8 weeks minimum. Lotions and creams like Mederma are not proven to improve the look of the scar. If you don’t want to commit to long term treatment like the Silicone Strips, we recommend using any lotion that is good for your skin (Vitamin E, Cocoa Butter, Aloe, etc.) and lotion your breast and scars twice daily. Rub the incision back and forth or in little circles for 90 seconds. This will help break up the scar tissue and improve the look of your scars.

Scar at 6 weeks

At 6 weeks out, your scar is maturing and will likely be a bit firmer and redder than when you first took off the bandage. As for scar care, you are best to review this with your surgeon.

Great Question! Yes it is very normal for your scars to change colors. Your incision looks great. Remember it takes 1 whole year for your scar to completely mature. Continue scar massage and scar gel and your result should stay good! Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Your scars appear to be on track for 6 weeks post op. They will continue to mature and change over the next few months and should be light again by 1 year post op. I recommend that my patients avoid exposing scars to tanning and apply silicone gel for 4-6  months to help minimize their appearance.
All the best

Scars mature over 1 year

Hello and thank you for your question.  Your scars look great for 6 weeks out.  They will become softer, thinner, and fade over the next 6-12 months as wound healing and collagen remodeling contributes to scar maturation.  Take care and I hope this helps!
Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Scars go through a year long maturation process, so be patient.At this early time your photo and scar looks good.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Look great so far!

Hi olga20.83, You look to be healing normally for 6 weeks post op. As incision sites heal, they can be itchy, usually turning a healthy pink or red, scars form very gradually and then take time to mature to a fleshy/silvery white. It is a phased process in the body that takes a considerable amount of time. In most cases, a scar isn't considered fully mature until 1 year! You can do your part by keeping them out of the sun, not smoking, staying hydrated and following all post op instructions given to you by your surgeon. You look great. You should look even better in the months to come!

William Aiello, MD