Will 540cc Get Me to a DD Cup? (Photos)

Hi, I am 24, 5ft, 123lbs. I am 4 days post-op. I got 540cc saline, under, crease, with high profile. My bwd is 13. Ribcage is 30. My goal is to be in the DD (very large) range. I know it is hard to form a decision because everyone is different but I just want to have an idea if I'll be close to my "goal size."

Breast Augmentation - Will 540cc Get Me to a DD Cup?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

That's probably about right.

Of course, bra sizes range a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even from style to style.  The only way to find out for sure is to try on a specific bra and see if that's the right size for you.  My guess is that you will be a DD, but you might be smaller than that in some bras and larger in others.  And you'll wind up with a larger cup size if you go to smaller chest size, though that might not necessarily be the right "fit."

What really matters is that you wind up with a size and shape that you like and, based on the photos you've posted, I'm assuming that that is the case for you...so you can be congratulated! 

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Will I achieve my desired size?

It is too early to tell, but I imagine that you will be very large.  At your height and weight, any implant over 500 cc's is a large implant.  I would encourage you not to "fixate" too much on your final size.  As you know, different bras from different designers have variable cup sizes.  While you may be a DD in one specific bra, another type of  bra with a D cup may fit you.  Try to enjoy your overall shape, size, and look--rather than only worry about whether you will have a DD.   Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

A double-D with 540cc breast implants

Cup size is hard to predict, as is breast augmentation by the numbers. Our guess however is that if you began with a full B then the 540cc does have a reasonable chance to hit your goal. If the you like the look, the size also can be irrelevant.

peterejohnsonmd

No Size Guarantee After Breast Revision

Breast revision surgery is more difficult, complicated, and requires more time than primary surgery. There is as much as a 40% chance additional surgery will be needed following the #revision. As far as sizing, there are no promise or guarantee of the specific cup/bra #size and shape you will be after your surgery.  Implants which are under the muscle or are placed in a new position under the muscle may change with shape on muscle contracture and may have “#banding” and motion of the implants with muscle contracture. If this is unsatisfactory, it may require additional surgery which will also require additional surgeon’s fees, operating room and anesthetic fees.

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume and projection with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast Size after breast augmentation

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Bra size after implants

The only way to tell what size you will be is to wait until all the swelling is gone--which will be at least several months. And even then the cup size will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. But with 540cc implants you could probably not have gone much, if any, bigger. So if you want to be larger, you would need another procedure after your skin has had a chance to stretch out and get used to its new size and shape. This is called a staged procedure when more than one surgery is necessary to achieve your desired result. But remember that the bigger you are, the more gravity will pull and the more droopiness you are likely to have. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

DD cup

The actual cup size varies tremendously depending on the manufacturer.  By your pictures I would say that you will most likely be at least a D cup.  However, please look in the mirror and listen to your friends.  Chasing a theoretical letter of the alphabet is not in your best interest.  I would say now you are at the top of the range for a reasonable breast augmentation.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation and Cup Size

As you may have learned, most plastic surgeon try to stay away from exact cup size predictions. Although it is natural to want to talk about cup size because it gives us a ready vocabulary to talk about breast size, it is at best a range of breast sizes and it is too dependent on the differences between bra manufacturers. A D-cup at Victoria's Secret will probably be a C-cup at J.C Penneys. Based on your photos, I would predict that you will end up as what most would consider to be a DD-cup. At this point, I would recommend that you stop worrying about cup size. Give it a few months for the implants to settle and if you are happy with how you look, then your breast augmentation has been a success.

Joseph Fata, MD

Concern about cup size 4 days after surgery

You are still very early yet and have a lot of swelling so it would be hard to judge your cup size at present even with the photos. Nevertheless, you appear to be quite large and probably would fit into a DD of some company's bras though this is not a standardized quantity.

The important issue for you should be the appearance and relative proportionality relationship as opposed to a more arbitrary cup size

Steven Turkeltaub, MD