Looking to get a breast lift and define areola? What would the surgery cost? And can you be awake while having surgery? (photo)

Looking to get a breast lift and define areola? What would the surgery cost? And can you be awake while having surgery?

Thank you for your question.  A breast lift and possible partial reduction can improve breast shape and position and reduce the size of your areola.  In my experience this operation cannot be done under local anesthesia with you awake.

Breast Lift

Thank you for your question.  The cost of this surgery can vary from office to office.  I do think that is an appropriate surgery for you based on your photo.  I would suggest having an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to get an exam and quote.  Most plastic surgeons offer free consultations.  I would not recommend doing such a procedure under local anasthesia.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

About $ 7500 under general anesthesia

Awake surgery is generally not a good idea. Breast lift when done right by a qualified team of surgeon and anesthesiologist costs around $ 7500 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Breast Lift

I think that a Breast Lift with areolar reduction is the right operation for you.  I also think that you have to discuss the form of anesthesia with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Good luck with your decision!

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

You can achieve good results with a breast lift and areolar reduction. Although it can be done without general anesthesia, most surgeons are unlikely to do so with this particular operation as you will not be very comfortable during the procedure with any kind of awake anesthesia.

Matthias Solomon, MD

Looking to get a breast lift and define areola? What would the surgery cost?

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your photograph, you seem to be a good candidate for breast lifting surgery.  The areola size is usually decreased during this procedure.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

In my opinion, this procedure is best done under general anesthesia which provides for patient safety, comfort, and immobility. I prefer to do this procedure in a fully accredited outpatient surgery facility with anesthesia provided by  Board-certified anesthesiologists.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast lifting surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Looking to get a breast lift and define areola?

These are very common procedures and have excellent results. When a patient asks if they can be done under local anesthesia my answer is probably but not in our practice. We use board certified anesthesiologists and general anesthesia which is extremely safe and very easy on the patient. I see one consultant has recommended a spinal anesthesia. I hope that was a typo as a spinal to get anesthesia that high can be dangerous. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Lift and reduction is a good option

Thanks for your question and the photo. I think you would do well with a lift and reduction in the areolar diameter. This procedure is best done with general anesthesia. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Breast lift

Breast lift can be done with or without implants, during this procedures the areola are diminished, regularly this procedure is done by spinal anesthesia which means patient can be awake or mildly sedated, the procedre cost can vary from 3,000 -3,600. 

Best regards

Kemil Issa, MD

Breast surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast lift.  General anesthesia is required for this surgery.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD