I am 5'10' 28. I tried every exercise to tighten my tummy. Am I a good candidate for a full or mini tummy tuck? (Photo)

I am african american 5"10 141pounds my tummy is a result of 3 childbirths was wondering which approach would be best in my case and which will give good results with less scarring. Mini tummy tuck or Full? Are african americans iron to scars ? how low can the scar be placed? How realistic will my results be?

Full or mini tt

Hello and thank you for your question.  More views are definitely needed to give a reasonable opinion.
From what I see liposuction with muscle tightening through short incisions may be all that you need. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Which Tummy Tuck is best?

Thanks for your pictures.  You should send more pictures to truly get a better recommendation.  You do not appear to have much excess skin but you have some mild muscle laxity.  An endoscopic tummy tuck may work well to tighten your muscles only.

Tummy Tuck

Your pictures give just one view of you tummy so it is difficult to tell you what would be best for you. In addition the real question is , "What are you trying to achieve?" This will be the starting point in evaluating what would be the best treatment for you. You may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, just liposuction or even a noninvasive procedure like CoolSculpting. A full consultation will be your best bet.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

I am 5'10' 28. I tried every exercise to tighten my tummy. Am I a good candidate for a full or mini tummy tuck?

It is difficult to recommend any surgery from the photos submitted.

Abdominal wall contouring with tummy tuck surgery

Abdominal wall laxity as a result of pregnancy or extreme weight loss can be addressed by tummy tuck surgery. The laxity of the abdominal wall muscle and connective tissue cannot be substantially tightened by exercise.

Thank you for the question, but without physical examination or at least viewing better quality pictures, it is not possible to give you precise advice. Generally speaking, most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss, benefit from tummy tuck surgery to improve the appearance of their abdominal walls. Of course, with any type of plastic surgical procedure, it will be important to achieve realistic expectations prior to proceeding. In other words, patients may never ( despite best efforts) achieve  their pre pregnancy abdominal wall appearance.  The mini tummy tuck procedure is rarely indicated.

Also, generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

The tummy tuck operation is associated with a lower abdominal wall scar and a significant recovery time; on the upside, the aesthetic outcome may be much more likely to be to your liking. the trade-off, commonly seen in plastic surgery, is improvement in contour of the abdomen in exchange for scars ( mostly hidden in undergarments and bathing suits etc.).

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Learn about the potential risks/complications associated with the procedure as well as the significant physical/emotional recovery time associated with the procedure.  you may find attached link ( dedicated to African-American patients), helpful to you.  Best wishes.

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

It looks to me like you have loose skin, especially around your belly button.  A mini tummy tuck would not suffice in improving this, as a mini tummy tuck only improves loose skin below the belly button, not above.  You are a better candidate for a full tummy tuck to improve this area, as skin tightening technology (other than surgery), is not completely dependable at this time.  If you wanted to give it a try, you may want to find someone who performs ThermiTight in your area, as it has shown some skin tightening effect, though it remains somewhat unpredictable as of yet for the abdomen.

From your side view, muscle tightening will help improve your flatness.  The only exercise program that would help are those that improve your core, such as Pilates, and possibly some yoga.  Pilates may be the best to improve all of your core muscles, as it is your oblique muscles and your traversus muscle which need the most strengthening; strengthening your rectus muscles will not improve your issue.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Candidacy for Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the only  accurate way to determine your candidacy for a full vs. mini tummy  tuck. Variables such as skin laxity, health history, and lifestyle need to be taken into consideration when working with your surgeon to create a treatment plan that will best suit your needs. The extent of your  scarring will also vary based on your unique healing characteristics, as well as the surgical technique of your doctor. At my practice, we  offer Embrace scar therapy to proactively address and minimize scarring from abdominoplasty. I recommend that, when choosing a surgeon for your procedure, you look for one who offers this treatment and is experienced in working with patients with ethnic skin

Camille Cash, MD

5'10' 28. I tried every exercise to tighten my tummy. Am I a good candidate for a full or mini tummy tuck?

Following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, discussing any plans for future pregnancies  and going over the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

A consultation in the office would be the best way to give you precise advice. A full tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck or liposuction may be your best option depending on how much fat and/or skin needs to be removed. You can visit our website to see tummy tuck before and after photos. That will give you an idea of where the incision would be placed. Scarring varies from patient to patient. All of that can be discussed in more detail during your consultation.