I'm a 50 year old mother of 5. I plan to have a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair. How long will I need to take off work? (photos)

should i purchase a recliner to sleep in for the first week. I am 5'4 and currently weigh 196lbs. I plan to lose 55lbs before surgery. Is it better to be at your goal weight before surgery? This is my belly pics below

Depends on the person and type of job

It is truly a great idea to loose as much weight as you desire before scheduling your procedure. Patients are very motivated to maintain the results of tummy tuck knowing they set up certain goals for themselves. The recovery time can vary from patient to patient and can take between 1-2 weeks. The time off from your work will really depend on the type of your job most patients with office type job are back after 1 week. You have to restrain from strenuous physical activities and heavy lifting for about six weeks.

Thank you for your question .
The minimum amount should be 2 weeks as long as you are not having any heavy lifting. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

I'm a 50 year old mother of 5. I plan to have a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair. How long will I need to take off work?

For most types of sedentary jobs, 2 weeks following a tummy tuck is a reasonable amount of time.

Returning to work after a TT

varies by surgeon to surgeon and what type of tummy tuck was done.  You are correct in that losing any weight you can will provide you a better result but make sure its a weight you can easily maintain with your routines and diet.  Usually my patients can return to sedentary work in 2 weeks but most are asked to take off 4-6 weeks.

Curtis Wong, MD

When to return to work after Tummy Tuck

I doubt that following a full tummy tuck with muscle repair you'll be able to return to work at 2 weeks. You should not have the emotional pressure and stress of worrying about a time-limited on your ability to heal after tummy tuck surgery.

If your work involves sitting then you may feel ok at 2 weeks but any physical work will require longer.

The most important thing is to follow the strict instructions that your plastic surgeon gives you.

Based on your photograph you will benefit a great deal from losing further weight before having tummy tuck surgery. Because there is fat beneath the skin your plastic surgeon will not be able to adequately tighten your tummy skin following tummy tuck. Extensive liposuction to remove this fat during the course of a tummy tuck it is not safe and could result in difficulty healing.

Weight loss before TT

Dear Patient,
yes, try to lose weight before. start the Dukan diet, it is on line, a high protein diet. start walking 3 miles / in 1 hour every day too.
It may take a while before you reach your goal weight: say 3 to 6 months.
Please make sure you have medical clearance with your family doctor and also check your thyroid hormones.
sometimes we go ahead and perform only liposuction on your entire midsection first, which will modulate your silhouette better. you would only need to take off 1 to 3 days off. then diet, then 1 year later, a TT once that belly fat is down. after a TT, you will need to take off 2 weeks minimum, and 6 weeks no exercises or heavy lifting.
it is a process,
good luck,
Florence Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

How Much Time Off from Work after Tummy Tuck?

• First of all, losing weight, as you are planning to do, is a great idea.   The more weight you are able to lose before your tummy tuck, the better your final results will be!
  • It is always best to be as close to your goal weight as possible prior to your operation. 
  • As far as taking off work after your tummy tuck, this depends on what type of work you do.  Most patients take 2-3 weeks off of work.  You will not want to perform any heavy lifting for at least a month after your operation. 
  • Definitely meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out more, and thanks for sharing with us!

Time Off After Tummy Tuck

For the average patient two weeks is sufficient. Work demands can lengthen that and occasionally even shorten the time. Being at close to your ideal body weight is good for anyone and the benefit of that in your case is that the surgeon will be able to remove more skin, rely less on liposuction to sculpt the remaining fat and is likely to be more successful in 'tightening' your muscles since you will have less visceral fat pushing against the repair. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Planning for tummy tuck

Good planning before surgery will help you recover better after surgery and get the best results possible. You have great questions. Yes, I would recommend losing whatever weight you can easily lose, before surgery. i recommend a high protein, low carb diet which will allow you to lose weight but keep important protein levels high. The thinner you get the tighter your surgeon can tighten you.Good luck.

Thank you for your question and your photos.  You are a fairly good candidate for a tummy tuck.  How long you need to take off of work depends on two things: what kind of work you do, and how fast you recover.  I have had patients who have gone back to full-time work as a waitress after 5 days, and I have had department store salespersons who have asked for 6 weeks off of work.  Average, for work that does not require strenuous activity, around two weeks.  Yes it is best to be as close to your ideal weight as possible before surgery.  No you do not need to sleep in a recliner, you can prop your back and your knees up on pillows in your own bed.  Good luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS