34DD Implants too big? What is Biggest Size I Can Get?

Hello, I need some advice. I am 5'0 height and 113 weight. (I can get Liposuction) My breast size is 34A. My husband loves a big breast and I am thinking of getting breast implants. My concern is, my husband loves big breasts like Sofia Vergara, I understand she is taller than I am so that is why I need an advice. I would love to have a bigger size breast but do not want to look vulgar or unnatural. Can you please let me know what can be the biggest implant sizes I can get? thanks.

Choosing Implants for Your Aesthetic Goals & Your Frame

How big is too big is subject to interpretation and depends on a multitude of variables. Attempts to have extremely large breast implants come with a series of compromises. Large breasts may lose their material appearance and develop extreme upper breast fullness. In addition, larger implants may be associated with higher risks and the increased potential for complications.
Although obtaining a 34DD is possible, it may involve a series of tradeoffs. Without pictures and a physical examination it’s impossible to know how significant these tradeoffs will be. In some cases, these compromises may be acceptable because of the patient’s aesthetic goals. In other cases when patients want harmony, balance, proportion, and a natural look, these changes may be unacceptable.
It’s therefore important to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses these issues.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

There is such thing as too big! Breast implants must be matched to body.

You are much too short for implants big enough to fill a double D bra. Look at some pictures of Salma Heyek who is also 5'0. She is understood to be a 36 -C and looks much larger because of her frame and height. Also, the first thing to remember about any plastic surgery is that you're doing it for yourself and not for someone else. If you go that large you will look top-heavy, fat and unnatural. Discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. You could do sizing preoperatively where implants are put into a bra and you wear them temporarily in the office to see what you think looks good.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

BEST Breast Implant is hardly ever the "Biggest"

Your questions raises several issues:

1. You should NEVER have surgery (or a tattoo) for someone else. Doing so rarely pleases them for long and you are left to deal with your decision.

2. Breast implants do NOT come in cup sizes. For that matter, bras themselves do not come in standardized, uniform cup sizes. Every manufacturer uses different volume and shaped cups  and as a result an c cup in one is not always a C cup in another.

3. Breast implants are differentiated by
- type of fill (saline VS silicone gel)
- shape of their silicone envelopes (round VS anatomic)
- height of the silicone envelope (low, moderate, moderate plus and high profiles)

4. There are physical limitations to the size of an implant each woman's breasts could tolerate. The skin would let only a certain size in. But - using the "all you can eat" buffet role model in Breast Augmentation is beyond shortsighted.

5. Even if it COULD be done, stuffing the biggest possible breast implant in a woman's breast is a dumb thing to do. It is good only for a surgeon who does not plan on building his practice with positive reviews and patient referrals. Otherwise, it is damaging to the woman. Her skin is irreversible stretched. Her breast tissues waste away from the pressure. As a result, the breasts sag rapidly and demonstrate folds and rippling. Correcting these changes is not easy and requires expensive and repeated operations making for a very unhappy patient.

For the best result, seek out a detail obsessed, artistic Plastic surgeon who takes pride in his work and who will match you with the best implants for your body.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Breast implant sizing

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

How To Max Out On Size While Still Looking Natural

How big can you go while still looking natural? The answer is different for everyone, depending on their body. Your doctor has to measure two things to answer this question.

Imagine lying on your back and drawing a circle around your breast. If you draw a line across that circle, it will be a given length. (The length of a circle is called a “diameter”.) This is a measurement that your plastic surgeon will take. The length of this area of your chest is called the “base width diameter” (BWD).

For women, the base width diameter ranges from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm (3.75 inches to 6.5 inches). As you can see, there is a very wide range.

A smooth breast implant is circular, and has the same measurement as your BWD. So if your BWD is 12 cm, that tells us that your implant cannot be more than 12 cm. It won’t fit. So the BWD determines the max size of the implant, length-wise.

Then the question becomes, how much volume will this implant have? We’ve measured its length, now let’s measure how far out it will project. That projection is the Profile, which comes in low, moderate, full (high), extra full (extra high).

A moderate profile will fit into most women. For the implants with more volume, high and extra high, whether they will fit depends on how much your skin can stretch. The stretchiness of the skin is based on genetic factors, weight, age, and whether you have had children. A woman who has breastfed will have looser skin. That means it can be stretched further and have room for a high profile, if that is what she wants.

For the most part, the implant size and volume is limited by these two measurements: your base width diameter and how loose your skin is. It tells you how much you can max out on. As long as the breast implant is kept within these measurements, you will have a beautiful, natural look, even if you max out.

The “fake,” “top heavy” or “stripper” look happens when the patient wants an implant that is bigger than her measurements. If it does not fit her body, it will look unnatural. So as long as you stay within your measurements, you do not have to worry about looking fake.

I hope that answers your question on how big you can go. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Choose implants that meet your appearance goals and are reasonable for your figure.

Given the measurements you provided, it’s safe to say that 34DD would likely be too big for you, and they certainly wouldn’t look natural. While I understand that you want to be desirable to your husband, it’s important that you get breast implants because you truly want them for yourself. I recommend that you meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine which implant sizes are suitable for you. A surgeon can evaluate your frame, measurements and natural breasts to suggest ideal implant sizes. You may also try on sizers to get a sense of which implant size you prefer. Best of luck to you.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Try on sizers!

Try on sizers.  You will be able to tell which volume you like the best on your body.  Your perception of your body and your desires for size are personal.  After you have chosen a volume that you like, the surgeon can help you select an implant based on the dimensions of your breast.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Proper Implant Selection

Generally speaking,larger implants increase the risk of complications such as implant malposition, which can be very difficult to correct longterm.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Largest sized breast implants

I determine size by looking at the patient's breasts as well as having them show me photos of what size they wish to be. Every about 150cc is about one cup size enlargement. How large you can go depends on how your breasts look prior to surgery and the size of your chest. You should be able to go about 3-4 cup sizes on average. You may want to check out the unbelievable breast implant all-inclusive special that I have.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

How big for implants?

That is always a tough question.A lot depends on how much extra tissue you now have.The more you have excess tissue the bigger the implant.Also if you have thin tissues and you overstuff the breast then you will have a much greater likel;ehood of implant exposure and especially if you are a smoker.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon