Best way to wean off pain medicine after TT with BA?

I just had a tummy tuck with breast augmentation on 10/25 - any suggestions on the best way to wean off the pains mess? I have been sticking to my routine and have only a slight amount of discomfort. I was hoping to move just to extra strength Tylenol. Is it too soon?

Pain medicatiion

Congratulations on your surgery.  There are a couple of different approaches that you can take to wean off the medication.  You can start taking half the dosage, instead of the full dose or you can try to space the medication out further.  One thing to be aware of, one the common medications given for surgical pain is a combination of Tylenol (acetaminophen) and a narcotic pain medicine.  You must be aware of how much Tylenol you take in a 24 hour period since there is a safe limit.  Discuss with your surgeon what is best for you.

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about Pain Medication Use

Prescription #medication is not a matter other surgeons or physicians than your own can advise on, without seeing you in-person or knowing your #medical history and surgical details. Therefore, its best to ask your surgeon this and about any additional medication use you have concerns about. 

Mommy make-over and pain medicines

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over

• I am so glad you are doing well after your mommy make-over.
  • I instruct my patients to take Tylenol from the start and Advil within 24 hours of surgery to reduce the need of narcotic pain medicines.
  • Contact your plastic surgeon and ask if this is ok for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Weaning off medication

For most people, beginning about 4-6 days after TT, they can start to wean off medication.  You can split your pain pills in half - and use 1.5 instead of 2, or half a tablet instead of one.  You can also space out the timing - so, instead of every 4 hours, you take your medication every 5 or 6 hours.

Using ibuprofen in-between your doses of pain meds is another method we use.

But best to check with your own surgeon's office about their preference.