Would you recommend Cool Sculpting for a 64 year old women with Ovarian Cancer?

Diagnosed July 2015 with Ovarian Cancer Stage IIIA - completed Chemo November of 2015. I feel great. I am 64 yrs old - 5' 6" and weight 174. I would like to weigh 155-160. My surgery consisted of removal of a large mass, a total hysterectomy and appendectomy. I received both IP and IV Chemo treatment. I now have a long vertical abdominal scar. There is excess fat on the upper abdomen that has not gone away.

Cool Sculpting after Chemo and Ovarian Cancer

Dear Depo2017, Congratulations on completing your treatment. For your case make sure you go to a reputable center with a physician who can also look at you. If you came to my practice I have all MSN RN's doing the procedure and they understand surgical history, scars, surgical histories and medications. Not all centers do thorough evaluations. Your skin, scar, abdomen needs assessed to see if you're even a viable candidate and then have it cleared by a doctor. We always wait one year after any surgery on the abdomen to treat but at least it's been that long for you. Best of Luck

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Yes, No reason not to

Congratulation on completing Chemo, I know you have probably had a difficult time over the last several years.   There is no contraindication to having coolsculpting after being treated for cancer, the only exception where i might be concerned is in heavily radiated skin, but a plastic surgeon should be able to evaluate you skin quality.   The scar is not an absolute contraindication, you just have to make sure that there is no hernia in the treatment area.    Coolsculpting is really my prefered device for non-surgical fat reduction of the abdomen, I have been using it for over 6 yrs and own multiple other devices.    Best of luck, you deserve to treat yourself!!!

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting & Cancer--Add Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Cellutone for Great Results

As long as you've been cleared, you can get Coolsculpting. Keep in mind, Coolsculpting won't give you weight loss, but target stubborn areas of fat. Coolsculpting works best in combination with radiofrequency treatments such as Thermage, Vanquish, Venus Legacy with Z wave/Cellutone. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Ovarian Cancer and CoolSculpting?

Hello depo2017,

Thank you for your question and I am happy to hear you are doing well post surgery and chemo for your Ovarian Cancer. My only point of caution is your mentioning the weight you would like to attain in the same sentence as having CoolSculpting. CoolSculpting is not for weight loss and even with great results obtained you will not "loose weight". As far as your described pockets of fat it seems as though you would be a candidate for this treatment. There would be no adverse effects expected with regards to your current diagnosis and or previous treatments. Care and skill will be required in and around your scar thus a prudent approach would be to seek counsel from your Oncologist to fully assess the scar for "clearance" for this procedure and have it done by a professional well versed with the surgical and non-surgical means of fat reduction. To your continued health. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Coolscupting in cancer recovery patient

This is perfectly fine to do as long as the surgeon clears you for the procedure. If everything is healed up, go ahead with Coolsculpting. Z wave and CoolAdvantage enhance the results of Coolsculpting.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Coolsculpting after surgery

Coolsculpting can be a great option to reduce localized fat pockets.  It should have no effect on your previous treatments; however, in patients with abdominal scarring, there can be limited mobility of the fat which can lead to less results.  I would recommend a consultation with someone who provides both non-invasive as well as minimally invasive techniques to get an honest assessment. Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Post Ovarian Cancer Surgery and Chemo: Candidate for Coolsculpting?

depo2017  Hello Neighbor!  I am glad to hear that you are doing well after the difficult time you had to experience from Ovarian Cancer.  Coolsculpting is a terrific procedure for non  surgical fat reduction and contouring.  It is important to note it is NOT for weight loss not will it improve laxity from  the surgery and abdominal scar.  An in person consultation is necessary to determine if you are a candidate for coolsculpting or sculpsure  or another  course of action.  I invite you into my world class spa in Sterling Heights, Accents Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Spa. Call Danielle to set up  a complimentary consultation 5862547692

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon