Can I have a Fleur De Lis Body Lift and a Gynecomastia together? (Photos)

I am 41 years old. I am healthy with no medical history. I have lost 350 lbs since 2009 and maintained. I am 6'4 and weigh 234 I would like to remove all my skin in one surgery. I have seen two different plastic surgeons and both have different opinions. One said a lower body lift with Fleur De Lis and a Gynecomastia and the other said a extended tummy tuck and Gynecomastia. He would not do the Fleur De Lis and the other procedures at once. What are your thoughts to completely restore my body?

Body Surgery After Weight loss

From your photographs,  my opinion would be that you would need a circumferential body lift rather than an extendeud tummy tuck or fleur-de-lis procedure. This would address not only the redundancy in the abdomen but in the hips as well. Since this procedure, in my hands, takes about four hours, I would to separate the gynecomastia into a separate procedure. With the amount of skin access in the chest wall, you may consider something like a boomerang procedure which not only thins the excess fat and gland but also excises the extra skin making a flat chest. Here, there is no correct answer only many different possible solutions. Best of luck.

Corrective surgery is possible but much hader,and you need a very experienced surgeon

You should consult a n expert who performs gynecomastia surgeries often in order to get optimal results with no recurrence.Just be careful who you choose.   I do not recommend to do them together.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Post Weight Loss Body Contouring

One important concept about body contouring after large amounts of weight loss is that not all problems can be corrected in a single operation…and even if they could they most assuredly would require some revisional surgery given the extent of the procedures. The extent of the surgery and the recovery must also be taken into account to decrease the risk of any major medical problems. (e.g., DVT) Therefore you have to pick your procedures carefully with those concepts in mind. Certainly a circumferential body lift and type IV gynecomastia reduction is needed.  Whether you really need the vertical part of the tummy tuck (the fleur-de-lis) is the issue for debate. Given the extent of the other procedures I would consider passing on that part and seeing if you really need it as determined by your results.

Fleur de lis

I have written several papers and presented on this subject. The fleur de lis is a great procedure for the right patient. You have to understand that you will be trading more incisions for a better contour. Good luck.

Body contouring

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your impressive weight loss!  There are many potential solutions for body contouring depending on your goals and priorities.  A circumferential body lift may provide the best overall result, as it would address the excess tissue of your abdomen, while also improving the contour of the lower back and buttocks.  If your primary goal is to remove the excess abdominal tissue alone, a fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty would be another good solution.  In general, it is preferable to stage an abdominal and chest procedure in order to ensure your safety while also providing the best long-term results; however, if you identify a surgeon who has a team in place to safely perform both operations within a safe time frame, they can certainly be performed together.  It is always important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you through the process and ensure the highest level of care.  Best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Combined Procedures

Surgical correction of enlarged male breasts can be done simultaneously with liposuction of other areas such as the abdomen, waist and back. Liposuction, also known as Liposculpture surgery, is performed to remove unwanted localized fat deposits.  This surgical technique helps to improve body contours by removing excess fat (adipose) tissue from deposits located between the skin and muscle.  A stainless steel suction tube, called a cannula, is inserted through a tiny incision. The cannula removes fat by powerful suction. When possible, the incision is made in one of the body’s natural skin creases, minimizing the appearance of the resulting scar. The fat tissue is suctioned out creating tiny tunnels through the fatty layers. After surgery, these tiny tunnels collapse and thus altering the body contour. The amount of time for liposuction surgery with gynecomastia surgery will depend on the extent of tissue needing to be removed in addition to where the removal of tissue needs to take place. These procedures can be combined, and along with the liposuction a tightening/lifting of excess skin can be completed. Good luck!

Combination plastic surgery

Performing multiple procedures like a body lift with gynecomastia surgery is possible but depends on your surgeon and the infrastructure that they have.  In my practice we have multiple surgeons available to assist and to comfortably and safely perform this type of combination in a timely fashion.  They key is to do this safely and to obtain a satisfactory result.  Good luck!

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon