I Am 45 Years Old (Male) and Have Hollow Cheeks, What's My Best Option? (photo)

I am 45 years old (male) and have hollow cheeks. I would like to know what type of treatment could be the best and the safest with least side effects? Thanks

Doctor Answers 8

Injectable Fillers Are Good Option for Cheek Hollows

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cheek hollows will do very nicely with injectable fillers.  You will have excellent results with minimal to no downtime and minimal discomfort.  In our practice, we do a lot of cheek filling with injectable liquid silicone as it is a fantastic facial filler and is permanent (saving the patient money and time).  When injected with the proper technique by a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon with expertise in using silicone, LIS is an ideal filler for cheek hollows.  The most important thing is that you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced in the use of injectable fillers.  Click on the link below for before and after photos of facial volume correction with LIS. 

Hollow cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I don't really see the hollowness in your cheeks in that picture.  The best and most accurate way to fill in hollow cheeks is with your own fat.  Usually,  fat can be sculpted very aesthetically with a high degree of safety.  It is permanent, but sometimes to get the optimal result, it may take two procedures.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options for hollow cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hollow cheeks are best treated with malar or submalar implants depending upon the level of deficiency in the cheek area.  The malar and submalar implants are placed intraorally above the upper teeth and directly located over the maxilla.  The submalar implants are placed lower and the malar implants are placed a little higher depending upon where the deficiencies in the cheek area are located.

Cheek Augmentation Options - Injection or Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hollow or sunken cheeks may occur with natural aging, in addition to some medical condtions. The change in appearance may be noticeable in patients in their 30's. Fortunately, there are 2 main options to improve cheek or midface appearance by primarily adding volume to the sunken area:

  • nonsurgical - Radiesse, Sculptra
  • surgical - fat injection, silicone cheek implants

All treatments are generally considered safe, although potential risks and side effects can occur such as  infection. Nonsurgical office injections with Radiesse or Sculptra is typically the least expensive in the short term, but surgery is normally the least expensive in the long term. Surgery is the longest lasting treatment that typically may not need repeat treatments. However, surgery has a longer recovery time with bruising and swelling as compared to the nonsurgical options, which may have little if any bruising. After a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki


I am 45 years old (male) and have hollow cheeks. I would like to know what type of treatment could be the best and the safest wi

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  For facial hollows and indentations, I prefer using Sculptra.  It takes 2 or 3 treatments as injections, spaced 4-6 weeks apart for a full correction which lasts about 2 years.  Facial shaping and contouring using fillers requires that the MD understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

Hollow cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A more permanent solution is cheek implants. Fillers, although non-invasive, require a number of syringes to achieve some degree of improvement and fat transfer may need to be repeated in order to get adequate volume. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hollow cheeks in a male

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Morning Tomy.  Dr. Mabrie is correct, you have several options, all great but all different.  I'll just make a quick outline of your options:

1.  Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm are fillers that are great because they give you volume and are very low risk.  In fact, this class of filler can be melted if you wanted to modify the look or felt like was too much put in but this is almost unheard of in the cheek area.  The trade off is these are more temporary, lasting about a year.

2.  Radiesse is a calcium based filler that lasts longer, looks great, costs about the same, maybe a bit more.  You can't "melt"it once it's in but really it's just not an issue in the cheek area.

3. Malar and submalar implants are a good option for your face.  The look natural, the procedure can be done under local anesthesia and it lasts for a life time.  Risks low; bleeding, infection, and malposition of the implant which can be adjusted if needed.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, or Radiesse are great options for hollow cheeks.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fear not Tony!  At 45 you are not alone with hollow cheeks.  Many of my patients start to notice hollowing of the cheeks with sagging of the skin in their 30's.  Fortunately, this problem is very well addressed with fillers.

Fillers are placed in the cheeks, and as needed in the adjacent areas-under the eyes and the cheek bone area.  It is helpful to find a doctor who performs a lot of injections and has an artistic touch.  You don't want to be over-filled or look unnatural.

Filling the cheeks correctly should make you look younger and better!

Good luck in your search for information!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.