Is this how I'd look using a chin implant? (photos)

I used the face touch up app & did some alterations on my chin... I really want a straight profile & full chin/jaw, while still keeping it natural looking. Is this at all accurate as to how chin augmentation would look on me? If so would it be in the medium to large range? I definitely want to notice a change when I get the implant

Chin Augmentation

That is a likely realistic result from a chin augmentation procedure. That looks like at least a 7mm horizontal change. Whether that should be done with an implant or a sliding genioplasty requires further discussion.

Are you a candidate for a chin implant?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin implant candidate

The photographs do appear realistic with a chin implant placement. The size and the shape of the implants are usually determined at the time of the consultation and examination. Computer imaging performed in the office setting also be helpful to get an idea what your new chin would look like. In our practice, the implants that we've used for the last 25 years are Implantech brand Silastic chin implants in size small and medium. For many before-and-after examples of chin implants, please see the link and the video below

Your chin can be improved with an implant or by moving the chin bone forward which is called a sliding osteotomy. At your young age a sliding osteotomy would be a better choice. However, using an implant is not a wrong operation. You do have slight fullness under your chin which would be improved with the osteotomy but not with an implant. It seems from the included pictures that the best outcome will come about from augmenting your chin (osteotomy or implant) plus removing some fat from under your chin (submental lipectomy).

Good Luck

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

I think your morphed photo is probably a reasonable expectation.   I think it makes a nice improvement in your profile.   Good luck! 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is this how I'd look using a chin implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Many of the existing facial apps will morph the photo in ways that a chin implant, other procedure wouldn't actually do.  Best to take a look at before and after photos in my humble opinion.

Hope this helps.