42 yr old female. Two weeks after the extraction of four wisdom teeth, still experiencing numbness on my chin and bottom lip?

12/02/13, four wisdom teeth were extracted.Upper teeth were fully erupted, on bottom, one tooth was erupted, but below the gum tissue, the last was horizontal & bony impacted. I have numbness on my chin, lower lip, along the gum line, and is causing my speech to be slurred. I'm unable to open my mouth very wide. The surgeon says my symptoms will improve. If not, he says, "I will adjust to the deficiency." Are my symptoms typical, & can I expect a full recovery? Would an x-ray offer any insight?

Although rare, unpleasant and undesirable such complication does occur. It is an accepted risk for removal of impacted lower 3rd molars. If your tooth was very close to the nerve, nerve fibers may be damaged during tooth removal, or compressed by post-op tissue swelling. Depending on severity of nerve injury, your symptoms may or may not improve. Certain medications and corrective (nerve decompression) surgery may be indicated. This needs to be monitored closely by your surgeon and possibly a neurologist also.

Buffalo Dentist