I'm 42 year old woman who is looking for a higher cheekbone look/contour. What procedure would you recommend? (photos)

What would one think is more suitable for a woman of my age? If i had to pick n ideallook that id like, id would have to be Angelina Jolie. Here top cheekbone is very prominent and creates a nice angular look below. Ive been told by one dr ito do implants and bucal fat removal by another. Am curious if buccal fat removal or cheekbone implant would produce a more angular look and lift. Than You

Doctor Answers 11


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would suggest you have Voluma to see ifyou like the effect. You would then have the choiceon continuing Voluma every few years or having implants.

New York Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Higher cheekbones in middle age

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  1. Don't get buccal fat pad removal . The sucked in cheeks look is fortunately passé and you will look prematurely aged. 
  2. Cheekbone silicone implants would give you the look you want and be permanent. They would lift your midface area to a more youthful level. 
  3. The other option is to have your cheekbones injected with a long lasting filler like Radiesse or Voluma. The effect is similar to implants and will last 1 to 2 years, with the advantage that it can be done incrementally. 

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

I'm 42 year old woman who is looking for a higher cheekbone look/contour. What procedure would you recommend?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Angelina has a very thin face, so it is hard to get her look without being extremely thin.  I do not suggest buccal fat removal...as you age, you will actually appear older!  Yes, cheek implants or fillers will give you a great look!   

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Before jumping into surgery (implant or fat removal) I would try an injectable filler in this area. The two products I like to use to recountor the cheek are Voluma and Perlane. At your young age I think this is a safer and more practical route. If for whatever reason there is an issue or you don't like the filler it can be dissolved. It is much more difficult to reverse a surgical implant. Judging by your pic it appears that filler would be all that is needed.

Gregory Barron, MD
Stuart Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma for cheek volume

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for posting a photo. I recommend looking into Voluma; Voluma is a facial filler that will volumize your face instantly. This new filler will restore lost volume giving your face a younger looking appearance. Please consult with your doctor to decide if this is the best option for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

High Cheekbone Angular Look

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
To create that midfacial look in your face, you would most likely need a combination of a small high cheek implant combined with a subtotal buccal fat reduction. Trying to make either an implant or fat removal along create that look will likely create an unnatural result. A little change in both directions (higher and in) would get closer to that and do so with a more natural result.

Cheek augmentation with implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The ideal candidate for a cheek implant is someone who has flat maxillary cheekbones. Cheek implants are manufactured in a variety of shapes( malar and sub-malar),  and come in a variety of sizes. They are inserted through an intra-oral incision and placed directly over the bone to augment the cheeks on a permanent basis. This is performed under a brief general anesthesia. For more information, diagrams and many examples, please see the link below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Cheek bone

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
CDM2011, I would recommend you try fillers first.  If you like the way this looks consider a cheek implant.  I very seldom recommend removal of buccal fat and would not so in your case.  Over time your midface fat becomes less abundant.  Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 55 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Either one would help.  Doing both would be better.  You could also get an idea about the cheek implant by having a temporary filler placed.  Seek out a board-certified Facial Plastic surgeon.  Best wishes

David Alessi, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Facial Rejuvenation / Cheekbones

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Every face is different so it is hard to make any recommendations based solely on chronologic age.  However, there are several options to enhance the cheek area, including fillers, implants, buccal fat removal.  The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with a proper evaluation and recommendation for your face.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you might look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.