I'm 4'11" with 204 pounds, 43 years old. Can I have a mommy makeover?

I'm 4'11" with 204 pounds, 43 years old. Can I have a mommy makeover. Never had belly fat before or after 2 babies. Then 40s came and I have belly, and is more noticeable because of my height. Can somebody help me get my sexy back?

Overweight patients can undergo mommy makeover.

There are additional risks in patients who have excessive body mass. This does not however exclude them from having an operation. Many patients after having aesthetic improvements find the psychological energy to proceed with further weight loss.

Thanks for your question. At your current height and weight you are overweight. I would suggest that the optimal results are obtain in patients that are closer to their ideal weight. Although, you may still be candidate for a tummy tuck and some breast work. Because you have not included any photos, it's difficult to assess if the excess fat is visceral ( that which lies internally in the abdomen) or from the abdominal wall to the skin. I will be happy to update my answer. 

Always seek out surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck.

Mommy makeover

To best help you, a physical examination is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Although you will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point, it is not in your best interests to proceed now.  Having the procedure performed when you are overweight, exposes you to additional risk around the time of surgery and increases your risk that additional surgery may be necessary down the line for a multitude of reasons.  Unfortunately, some of the risks (such as deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) associated with surgery, at your current weight, can be life-threatening. 

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. 

At this point, I would suggest that you  seek consultation with other professionals,  other than plastic surgeons.  Physicians who specialize in weight loss, nutritionists, personal trainers, and/or bariatric surgeons are professionals to consider.  

Having said this, there are some patients who despite all efforts, are not able to reach their long-term stable weight prior to undergoing abdominal wall contouring surgery. These patients benefit from operations such as panniculectomy ( which involves excision of the lower abdominal wall skin/adipose tissues.  For these patients, the panniculectomy operation may provide the patient a “jumpstart”  both physically and mentally (as he/she works towards achieving their final weight and health goals). 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  

Are You Candidate for a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.
In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 
Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

It’s always best to reach your target weight before pursuing cosmetic procedures.

Around age 40, women’s hormone levels start changing, which can lead to a corresponding shift in the way your body gains weight and where that excess weight is carried. Even if most of those extra pounds are right at your belly, most plastic surgeons will recommend that you reach a healthier weight before pursuing cosmetic surgery. This is not only for your own safety, but also because the results themselves will look better if performed after weight loss rather than before. Check with your primary care physician for the safest, healthiest method for losing those extra pounds, and once you’ve maintained your target weight steadily for several months, you can schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Overweight at 40

It is so hard when the weight comes on!
  • At your height, you are close to 100 pounds over your ideal weight,
  • This will affect your health and that indirectly affects your children too,
  • I suggest your regular doctor refer you to a bariatric surgeon if you can't lose weight - and to a weight loss physician if you think you can,
  • After your weight loss, then have the mommy make-over.
  • As it is now, a mommy make-over will not give you a great result and puts you at unnecessary risk. Best wishes.

It may be better if you lose some more weight.

Thank you for your question. Based on your height and weight, you are overweight.  There are a couple factors that I look for in my prospective patients: safety and result. If a patient is overweight, he/she is at a higher risk for complications such as infection, wound dehiscence, and delay in healing.  In addition, when the patient is closer to an ideal weight, his/her result will be better cosmetically.  I think you should try to get to your "goal" weight and be stable at that weight for at least 3 months prior to proceeding with the surgery.  Please visit with board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your surgical options as well as to discuss benefits/alternatives/risks for surgery.  Best of luck to you.

In order to receive the best possible result from a mommy makeover, I would suggest lowering your weight before proceeding.  The best candidate is within 20 lbs. of their ideal weight.  At your current weight, your risks and complications for surgery are greatly increased.  To spend the money and invest the time for recovery at this point, I feel would leave you disappointed.  Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and to see if you are a good candidate for this procedure.

Can I have a Mommy Makeover?

A Mommy Makeover is a term used to describe one or more surgical procedures combined together to correct some of the unwanted effects of pregnancy. It commonly includes recontouring of the abdominal wall, some type of breast reshaping and liposuction. The most common procedure in this combination is usually some form of abdominal recontouring. This may include a full abdominoplasty, a mini abdominoplasty, or liposuction only. If there are significant stretch marks present a full abdominoplasty normally is required to optimally recontour the abdominal wall. In a full abdominoplasty and incision is made low on the abdominal wall from one hip to the other. The skin and fat layer is lifted off of the muscle layer up to the belly button. At this point an incision is made around the belly button so that the skin and fat layer can continue to be lifted off the muscle layer leaving the belly button attached to the muscle in its normal location. Elevation of the skin and fat layer is continued up to the rib cage. Occasionally there is some degree of separation between the muscles in the center part of the abdomen. If this separation is present it is repaired by stitching it closed. The elevated skin and fat layer is then pulled tight to the lower part of the abdomen. The excess skin and fat is then removed and the wound stitched closed. The belly button is then brought out through a new opening remaining in his original position.  At your height and weight it would seem that optimal recontouring of the abdominal wall with this procedure would be difficult.  Very likely a significant amount of your abdominal fat is in your abdominal cavity where your internal organs reside.  This fat is not accessible to liposuction or tummy tuck surgery.  Very likely this excess fat will significantly reduce the amount of skin tightening that you would normally have.  Additionally patients who have above normal BMI are greater risk for postoperative complications.  This type of surgery is expensive.  In order for you to get the best result in the safest way possible you should lose weight first.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon