410 Implant After Small Volume Decrease from Breastfeeding?

I have been saving for a breast augmentation and I am very interested in the Allergan 410 implant. I have breastfed 2 children in the past 3 years and have lost some volume in my breast but not a considerable amount. Is the 410 anatomical shaped implant right for me? Or will any decreased volume increase the risk of implant rotation? If I have and breastfeed a third child with the implant already in could that increase the risk of rotation?

Updated:  Photo Added.

Shaped implants for breast augmentation

The shaped implants are a nice advance.  When considering using the Allergan 410 implant it is important to choose a surgeon who has a lot of experience using shaped implants whether saline or silicone.  The operation is different compared to using round implants.  For my San Antonio Breast Augmentation patients I offer 3D imaging during the initial consultation to help them see the difference between the shaped and round implants.  With the imaging, YOU can decide if the shaped implant is right for you.

I do not think that if you breastfed again you would necessarily have an increased risk of rotation.  In my experience rotation has been rare, but it is always a concern.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. The risk of rotation is highest early on and should not be a concern a year from implantation.  Rotation is a real concern and I prefer round implants, but anatomical implants do have their place as well.  Anatomical are not a good choice if a patient will not avoid too much activity.  Ideally, you should wait until after you are finished with children, breastfeeding, then choose whether you need a lift, a and or implant, and choose the size then.  The size may be the same, or it could be larger or smaller. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

410 implant...right for some, not others

It totally depends on your goals.  The 410 has some very good things about it, but all shaped implants have the possibility of malrotation.  For most people the conventional smooth round implants are just fine.  Also, 410's are limited in their size increase relative to smooth rounds.  The best way to determibne this is in a consultation!

The Vectra can do a pretty good job of simulating the different looks of the different implants on your bodt as well.

Michael E. Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Alternative to small volume implant

An alternate to small volume implants is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without the use of an implant.  This technique also maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Allergan 410 vs. Allergan Natrelle Smooth Gel implants

Great question.  The 410 implant is a much firmer silicone gel implant that has a tear drop shape.   Because this implant is firmer, it actually helps to shape your breast.   So who would be a good candidate for a 410 implant?  One example would be a women with very little breast tissue at all; think flat A cup with a tighter skin envelope.    On the other hand, the natrelle silicone gel implant is a softer silicone implant compared to the 410.  So this implant conforms to your breast shape and makes the breast bigger in volume.   The smooth round shape conforms to a tear drop shape due to the pocket created for it (such as a dual plane pocket).   Based on your photo, it appears you have a nice breast shape to start.  If you are just seeking more volume, I would likely suggest to save money and go with the Natrelle silicone gel implants.   I think you'll get a great result with the natrelle implants. Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options. Best wishes, Dr. Basu Houston, TX

410 vs smooth round implant

I think you have absolutely ideal anatomy for a smooth round submuscular silicone gel implant which I feel would better complement your "bottom heavy" starting anatomy. These implants take on an anatomical shape when you are standing but shift shape like real tissue when you lay down or change position. The least projecting implants ("low profile") would give you a very gentle and natural upper fullness and you would not have to worry about implant rotation.

With your very favorable starting anatomy you should expect an excellent result with almost any shape or style implant as long as the proper size is selected!

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Anatomical Implant #breastimplants

Ok. Great question. For lots of people this is a new implant. It has been used in Europe for a very long time. I used them in my residency training because we were part of the trial that participated in the FDA approval of this device. I have put many in during residency for reconstructive purposes and several for cosmetic. In my practice now that they are available. I have used them for cosmetic breast augmentation in two patients. I love them. Being that said there is a very specific population of patients that fit the mold for this implant. First, women can not have loose skin or ptosis as we call it in the plastic surgery world. It is so important that your surgeon understand that the borderline patient that needs a lift is not really a great candidate for this implant. Good patients tend to be ones with no breast ptosis with good symmetry to start out with. If there is the need to move a nipple and areola complex up or down it is not best unless your surgeon has very good experience with doing that while using shaped devices. Mistakes are not as forgiving as they may be with round devices. It does tend to be a slightly more firm implant compared to our round gel devices that we currently use. You do appear to have good quality skin with no ptosis. It is impossible for me to really know without a physical exam. If you do not desire a very large more rounded look and want the more modest look with that tear drop shape then I do think you are a good candidate for the 410 implant. Make sure you choose a really good board certified plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. That should be the first place you start. Then choose one you trust understands your goals and that you feel has excellent judgement. Good Luck! By the way, my two patients absolutely love their 410 implants.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Implant Type

You look like a good candidate for a breast augmentation. The choice of implant type is probably not going to make a huge difference in your final appearance as you will likely look good with either round or anatomic implants. Malrotation is a problem with all anatomic implants and occurs in about 15% of cases.

Implant choices

The best way to evaluate you is in person. A shaped implant has the potential to rotate and this is not predictable.

An in person exam is most useful in choosing the best implant to use in a patient. Without photos, measurements, and some idea of goal size it is not possible to offer advice. Please consider adding photos and more info.

All the best.