I have narrow shoulders, a small rib cage and wear a 32B or possibly a larger A cup. I have a small waist and larger, round hips/butt. I want larger breasts than would otherwise look natural for my upper body to balance out my lower body. Will more than 400 ccs overwhelm my upper body?
Should I Get More Than 400 Cc Implants for my Small Upper Body Frame? (photo)
Doctor Answers 5
400 cc implants and a small upper body frame
The way to think about this is whether wearing a 36 or 38 bra or a shirt size that's too big for your upper body will "balance out" or "overwhelm" your upper body. Currently you look like a full A cup size (in a 32 inch chest). If you get an implant whose width matches the width of your breast and it's a high profile gel in Mentor or Allergan (or a high profile saline-filled in Allergan), then you will look like a 32 full C and still look natural in the sense that the implant will fit and look like a breast rather than a breast and an implant. If this size seems to fit your conception of proportion and desirable size then it should work for you. In general, as long as you don't cross into the D cup range (which you can't reasonably do in one operation) then you can still look proportionate. If you are taller, you can handle a larger breast size and look proportionate, but ultimately you should go with what makes sense to you as long as it's feasible.
I'm guessing at the width of your breast based on experience and your 32 inch chest around, but I'd guess it's about 12 cm or a bit less. This would be about a 280 or 270 cc implant in a medium profile and maybe around 380 in a high profile which, if saline, could be filled to 400, but in general a 400 cc implant in less than a high profile will not predictably fit and will not look natural. You wouldn't just pick a shoe size or dress size that you like and hope it fits and looks natural. You'd be measured to see what would fit you. And since you can't "try on" a breast implant realistically, you should go with what is known to fit you and what effect that would have on your apparent breast size rather than choosing an implant volume.
How to pick breast implants.
How to pick breast implant sizes
Answer by George J. Beraka, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.
2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.
3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.
4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.
5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.
6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.
7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.
8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.
Should I Get More Than 400 Cc Implants for my Small Upper Body Frame?
I would first place sizers and a bra and shirt to compare the impact on your overall body proportions. Other measurements are essential such as BWD to aid in selection of implant style
You might also like...
To size you up for implants takes a physcial exam and discussion of your goals. Everyone carries the volume a bit differently and the bras do not always correlate to the volume. You look like you may be a good candidate for moderate plus or moderate based upon your frame to complement you rlower body.
Sizing breast implants
It all depends on the width behind your breasts. As long as the implant has a width that matches your own it can look reasonable. For you, it would take a mod plus or HP implant to get up to 400 cc so be sure the look these make is one you like.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.