I am 40 years old, and 200 pounds, and I wear a 42K. I have indentions in my shoulders at least 1/2 inch deep. Candidate?

Breast Reducton Requirements

Breast reduction is based on various symptoms.  I do not know your height.  If you are tall, 5'10" and weight 200 pounds and have muscle, then you may require less tissue reduction as opposed to 5'2" and 200 pounds. I can tell you, patients who are good candidates for breast reduction are very happy with the outcome and verbalize feeling better as soon as they awaken from anesthesia.  The indentions in the shoulders are a common symptoms because of the breasts pulling forward.  A great option for you may be a fat transfer to the shoulder area at the time of your breast reduction.  Patients are very happy with this procedure also.
Thank you.

Ultimate Breast Reduction(TM)

Insurance companies authorize breast reductions based on 2 criteria. One, you must have symptoms such as neck, back or shoulder pain attributed to large breasts. Second, you must have the amount removed that meets their criteria. At size 42 each 300 grams of tissue corresponds to 1 cup size change. The largest they ever require is 1 kilogram, which would correspond to 3 cup sizes. In your case, it would take you down to size H. I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast ReductionTM. This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. Pain is relieved by transferring the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle. The patient is left with breasts appropriate for their body without undergoing excessive reduction in order to relieve pain.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Based on your brief description you may be a excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point; it will be in your best interest to drop  additional weight first.
The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. Make sure you are seeing a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  Ask to see lots of examples of their work.

When dealing with health insurance companies, be prepared to be persistent.  In the end it will be worth it;  breast reduction surgery tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Breast reduction

It sounds like you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction but should be seen in present to determine how to proceed.

Breast Reduction Candidate

Your insurance company will have specific requirements for coverage of a breast reduction.  First, make sure that it is not an exclusion on your policy.  We are seeing that more and more these days.  Your board certified plastic surgeon will ask you many questions about your history, including any skin rashes and problems, where your pain is located and other lifestyle questions.  Your surgeon will examine you and take certain measurements to see if you are a candidate.  Your height and weight will be plugged into a formula that insurance uses to determine if you qualify.  This is to determine if the patient is overweight and needs to lose weight to see if the breast size changes before approval for breast reduction is approved.  If you have seen a chiropractor or physical therapist, a note from them will help your cause.  Every state is different, and every insurance/policy is different.  Your local plastic surgeon will have more specific answers for you.  Good luck!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate?

Can not say exactly without a full exam, but I would say yes based on weight and bra size. Good luck!!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question!  Given your symptoms as well as your physical description, it sounds that consideration for a breast reduction in your case would be reasonable.  Reducing the size of your breasts will almost certainly ameliorate the signs and symptoms that you are complaining of such as shoulder grooving, in addition to neck/back pain, infections/rashes, migraines, etc.  

Assuming that you are of average American height, it may be in your best interest to consider weight reduction prior to consideration for any surgical procedure to reduce your complication risk.  Doing so may also alleviate some of your complaints.  I would consult with a plastic surgeon in order to discuss your concerns and expectations as well as help you decide if this procedure is the right thing for you.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD