4 Weeks Too Soon to See a Difference After Gynocomastia Surgery?

I had gynecomastia surgery 4 weeks ago (mainly liposuction with a little glandular excision though my glandular tissue was considered normal from the USG). All of the bruising has gone and the wounds are healing fine, but everything else still looks the same. I feel like my chest is still full of fatty tissue. My chest is not tender to the touch and doesn't look swollen as such anymore. It is very soft and fatty like. Is it normal at this stage to look exactly as before? Thanks

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

You're still early in your healing process and you must be patient. Following #gynecomastia surgery, your #incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

4 weeks after surgery

It is too early to tell the final results after just 4 week. Hang in there and be patient. Follow your surgeon's instructions and continue to discuss your concerns. 

4 Weeks Too Soon?

It's tough to say without seeing photos of your before and current status.  Mild cases of gynecomastia can take longer for results to be apparent, particularly if swelling mimics the original condition or masks the improvements made.  Changes following treatment of more moderate to severe gynecomastia are generally fairly obvious early on.  Again, a final result is months away, as swelling, skin contraction and scar maturation require time for resolution, but if significant tissue was removed, some contour change should be apparent.  You should speak to your surgeon about your concerns.

Rick Silverman

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon