39 Male Seeking More Youthful Appearance. What Treatments/procedures Do You Recommend?

I'm most concerned with my under eyes, I'm considering upper and lower eyelid surgery. I'm looking to get my laugh lines filled in to. Right now, however, I'm looking for something to improve my overall facial appearance. Would a chemical peel be good? Sun damage, some redness and sensitive facial skin. I have a dull, tired appearance now. Please advise me as to things I should pursue, and not pursue! Thank you all. I should have a pic on my profile.

Doctor Answers 5

Skin rejuvenation for dull skin, sun damage and redness

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without examining you, it is impossible to determine what procedures would help you.  Sun damage can be improved with photodynamic therapy, redness with IPL or pulsed dye laser, and a dull appearance with a fractional laser, chemical peels or microdermabrasion.  You should use sunscreen with SPF 50+ daily.   Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for advice.

Toronto Dermatologist

Fraxel, Spectra, Restlyane and Other Options for A More Youthful Appearance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's wonderful that you are trying to educate yourself on different anti aging options for yourself. In your research, it is important to try and understand how different procedures work to give results. This will allow you to make more informed and accurate decisions as you discuss these resources with your dermatologist.

Without pictures, it is hard to make specific recommendations to address the area under your eyes. Some people have eyebags and require surgery to redistribute the tissue. Others have deep depressions that may benefit from fat transfers or an injection like Restlylane which is made of a natural compound called hyaluronic acid. Restylane needs to be shaped and molded, but it stays in one place instead of diffusing into the tissue.

Laugh lines can easily be addressed through Juvederm, which is also a hyaluronic acid. However the gel does not need to be shaped and it easily assimilates into your existing tissue.

A combination of Fraxel and Spectra might be worth some consideration. The Fraxel laser will break up pigment caused by sun damage. The lighter, Re:fine mode is gentle for your sensitive skin. Spectra can be described as a laser equivalent to a chemical peel. But the results are more predictable and safer. 

I've included a video of a patient who underwent this combination.


Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Eyelids/ Skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Patient,

It is very difficult to determine what is right for you without a picture. As for your sun damaged skin, I would highly recommend photo rejuvenation treatments. This will rid you of sun spots, redness, and improve your pores. As for your eyelids, I would advise that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD, FRCSC
Montreal Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need a consultation in person with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon ( American Board Of Plastic Surgery). Discuss your concerns and what is available for you.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Under eye treatment.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is impossible to say what u need without  photos or an examination. See an experienced surgeon for a proper evaluation.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.