38D Now with Large Areola Considering Implants over a Breast Lift, Good Idea?

Worried about scaring that goes along with the lift procedure .saw some people suggest getting a small implant vs lift . Does this sound right. Will be going in for a tummy tuck and maybe liposuction and figure might address the nipple issue. And surprise my husband. I don't like the look of the lollipop Scars Any advice Age 40 160. And dropping

Breast augmentation vs. breast lift considerations

In general - you can expect to see some areolar dilation with the use of an reasonably sized implant. Combining a breast augmentation with mastopexy would offer some control over areolar size, as long as certain surgical techniques are done to properly stabilize areolar diameter. The breast shaping after vertical mastopexy and augmentation with small implant is generally excellent, and worth the 'trade' for the resultant breast skin scar.

38D Now with Large Areolae Considering Implants over a Breast Lift, Good Idea?

Large areolae will likely become larger with breast implants.  The areolae can be reduced and a slight lift given if you would like, with or without implants.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations, breast lifts, tummy tucks, and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Ask your PS, and be sure to get a complete exam.

It’s not unusual for patients with breast sag to request breast augmentation in an effort to avoid the scarring that’s associated with breast lift surgery.  When patients have mild breast sag, breast lift surgery can be avoided by performing a dual plane breast augmentation.  Unfortunately, this technique doesn’t work when patients have moderate to severe breast sag.

Under these circumstances, the vast majority of patients require a breast lift procedure.  This procedure lifts the breasts into normal position and reduces the size of the areolas. When sag of this magnitude is present, breast augmentation by itself would serve no purpose.  Occasionally when patients with severe breast sag want upper breast fullness, breast augmentation can be combined with breast lift surgery.

It’s virtually impossible to make a recommendation in your particular case without pictures and a physical examination.  For this reason, it’s appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals

Reduction of the size of an areola demands a mastopexy.

If you want your areola to be smaller you will have to accept the incisions to go along with a mastopexy. Breast augmentation by itself will probably make them slightly larger.

Breast options

Thank you for your question.   Without photos and a formal physical exam, it is impossible to give you any recommendations for your breast.  Please see your tummy tuck plastic surgeon for an evaluation of your breast.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Large areolar size and ptosis

I would encourage a loilipop type mastopexy, to decrease areolar size and correct ptosis When a large areolus is enlaged with an augmentation I dont think that is attractive.  It is a trade off for periareolar scars for a smaller better positioned nipple-areolar complex. If my Ipatient wants to have larger breasts post mastopexy at 1 year post op I will do it for her at a reduced fee..

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift vs. implants, what should I do?

Thanks so much for your question.  There isn't a right or wrong answer, it really depends more on you and the look you are trying to achieve.  Realize that if you are already droopy and if you add more weight to your breasts you will eventually become more droopy.  You can always limit scarring with a areolar reduction now and with a small implant as long as you have a clear understanding from your surgeon what things will look like when they have finished the surgery.  You can always make scars but you can never take them away. If you are not sure that you want lift scars now then don't have a lift.  Just understand how things will look if only an implant is placed.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation vs. breast lift

You describe large drooping breasts with large areolae. It does not make sense to make them larger still with the idea that these problems will go. It is more likely that doing so will make these problems worse.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

38D Now with Large Areola

It is not possible to answer your question without at least good photos. Better yet see a surgeon for answers. Sometimes there is no shortcut to getting a lift.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Best Breast Operation for Me?

Online consultants, without the benefits of photos or physical examination, will provide you with no meaningful specific  advice. My best suggestion would be to choose your plastic surgeon carefully, COMMUNICATE  your concerns/goals carefully, and together come up with the best plan. Working together, you will be able to determine what procedure will best achieve your goals and whether the “downsides” of the procedure are worth the improvements achieved. It will be important to achieve realistic expectations and understand the potential risks/complications associated with each option.

Be careful about your decision-making;  for example, patients who would benefit from breast lifting surgery and opt for breast augmentation only, are likely to be disappointed and require additional surgery in the near future.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.