How about recovery days off work for Breast augmentation? (photos)

I work at my local Autozone and unfortunately I am not possible to have any days off possible of up to 5 days. What are the chances I will be able to return to work in the time. I can avoid most lifting after return but I would be typing on a computer, doing paperwork, and ALOT of walking and talking, running cash register. I can handle pain very well but, I don't want to hurt my outcome or have an injury to the implant.

How about recovery days off work for Breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question! The "rapid recovery" breast augmentation is a newer philosophy with many surgeons to expedite activity and expedite recovery following the breast augmentation procedure. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. It is the similar techniques as described and is really gaining popularity. Meticulous breast pocket dissection and minimal bleeding have been shown to limit swelling and postoperative pain following the procedure. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. Pain is often minimal and you will likely be on a scheduled antiinflammatory regimen/pain control along with early exercises/range of motion techniques immediately. Pain does vary among patients, however. Certainly, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week. I typically restrict heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for approximately 4-6 weeks Swelling and settling of the implant typically occurs over a 6-12 week period along with placement in a compression-type bra for the same time period, while your incisions commonly resolve to its final appearance in up to a year.

Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures and one you are interested in are useful in order to discuss his/her technique as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a great result!

Working after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You should resume normal activities at a slow, gradual pace, and your return to work will depend on your occupation. Light exercise (not involving your arms) can commence after a week. Heavy lifting and strenuous exercise should be avoided for between four and six weeks. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

How soon you can return to work depends upon several factors.

Breast implant size, surgical technique and your pain tolerance can all affect your recovery. Generally speaking, most patients are able to return to work within a week of their breast augmentation so long as they avoid lifting or any other physically strenuous activity. It’s important to consider that prescription pain medication can make you feel sleepy or groggy, and you should not be driving while under its influence. You may also tire easily soon after the procedure, as breast augmentation is a major surgery. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast augmentation for best results, and follow his or her guidelines to ensure your optimal recovery.

Clay Forsberg, MD

Back to Work after Breast Augmentation

For the job you describe, you should be able to go back to work in a few days if the implant is placed over the muscle and the dissection is done using an electrical cutting instrument and not by bluntly dissecting the area where the implant is placed. If you plan it to include your normal days off, you should only need to miss 1 or 2 days.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work after breast augmentation

Great question.  When a person can return to work after breast augmentation depends on several factors including:
  • personal pain tolerance and preference
  • type of work
  • type of breast augmentation
I suspect that you will be ok to return to work as you have described after five days.  Driving there  may be a little bit of a challenge so you may want to see if getting a ride to work is possible.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to work.  Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body" as you do so. Having said that, most patients are able to drive approximately one week after surgery, engage in lower body exercises two weeks after surgery, lift more than 10 pounds 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, and run 4 to 6 weeks after surgery as well. Again, the plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to relevant advice.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

How soon to return to work after breast augmentation?

This can vary depending upon the surgeon and the size of implants and any patient's pain tolerance.  If you are taking a narcotic pain medication you should not drive or work.  In my practice I commonly expect my patients to only require motrin for pain control and return to "normal" light activity in just 24 hours.  I advise no cardio work out for three weeks.  You should talk to your surgeon for their specific instructions.  Good luck!

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Hi there, thanks for posting your photo and questions. You should be okay to return to work within the first five days, but need to avoid heavy lifting for the first six weeks. This is a great question to ask your surgeon directly because all surgeons have different post operative aftercare instructions. Best of luck to you on your aesthetic journey. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph.  If you are able to avoid most lifting, you should be able to return to work within 5 days.  You will still be sore and have discomfort from surgery, but walking and performing computer work should be possible.  Be sure to speak to your surgeon so that they understand your work activities and duties, to best advise you after your breast augmentation