I Am 34 Years Old and I Think I Have Tear Troughs. Could You Advise Me of That I Can Do to Possible Correct Them? (photo)

Is is even worth it to try? Thank you (This picture I have make up on and that doesn't help at all)

Doctor Answers 10

Treatment for 34 year old with tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your photos demonstrate the tear trough that you are concerned with. This is can be from lower lids bags causing a shadow or from a deficient infraorbital bone under the lower lids. Injections with a filler like Restylane or Juvederm are excellent treatments for this. I suggest having the injections done with a Dermasculpt soft tip microcannula to minimize any bruising. Most often there is no bruising with this technique. Another solution is the use of fat transfer, but it must be performed by someone very experience in micro-droplet injections and must bedone  very conservatively. Good luck with this.

Treatment of tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You may be a candidate for filler into the tear trough. I prefer restylane for this area. You should seek consultation of a surgeon who is familiar with injecting this area for the best results. Good luck.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear troughs and options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Injectable fillers would be a great option for you. Restylane is a great example of a filler that could be injected into the tear trough region that is minimally invasive and can create a natural blending effect from the lower eyelid region to the cheek region. Keep in mind that injectable fillers are temporary.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

I think I have tear troughs, help!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi L4A.  You have a couple different options.  They are surgery or injections with Restylane or Juvederm.

While lower blepharoplasty (eye surgery) is a great option, there is also a much less invasive one.  We use Restylane to fill the area under the eyes where age and/or genetics have cause a hollowed out appearance.  Restylane acts like a sponge once injected, filling the hollowed area and moving it outward.

Make sure when you choose an injector that they use a method called injecting "under the muscle".  if not injected this way, the product can lok lumpy and degrade more quickly.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Tear Troughs can be corrected without surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi there-

There are now excellent options for improvement of the tear trough deformity without surgery. Most experienced surgeons prefer Restylane for this indication, but you should find a provider you like and feel you can trust and see what options they feel are best for you.

A well-performed Injectable Filler treatment may be used to improve your lower eyelids.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your photo seems to show fairly typical lower eyelid grooves that are often called "tear troughs". A well-performed Injectable Filler procedure may help to fill these grooves and soften the transition from your lid bags to your cheeks.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

I also agree that Restylane is the way to go here.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I developed Deep Fill Restylane to precisely address this type of under eye circle.  While this treatment generally lasts about a year, there are some individuals who seem to have much longer  treatment benefit.  The service is done in an office setting and is very comfortable.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Restylane for tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Over the years, I have found that the most effective treatment for tear troughs is Restylane. Unlike Restylane injections in other parts of the face, Restylane is place just over the bone to avoid lumps and unevenness. Restylane also tends to last one year and sometime even up to 1 and 1/2 years when placed in this manner. Other treatments including Radiesse and fat injections seem to be prone to more complications. Restylane treatments to the tear trough should, however, be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon since a greater degree of skill is required to produce an effective result.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of tear troughs minimally invasive and surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The options for treating tear troughs are either minimally invasive such as fillers or fat injections or surgical with lower Blepharoplasty/eyelid surgery with manipulation of the fat, muscle and septum in that region to creat a smoother transition from the lower eyelid and the cheek. I prefer Restylane in that region since it is less hydrophilic (water absorbing) then Juvederm and causes less swelling. In that region it may last up to two years. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the results you can dissolve the HA (hylaronic acid) with an enzyme such as Vitrase. Wish you best of luck

Tear troughs and Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It does appear from the photos that you have tear troughs and in my opinion, the best treatment is Restylane.  I have seen too many problems from fat injections at national meetings and Juvederm causes too much swelling in my experience.  Make sure a doctor evaluates you and that a doctor does these injections near the eyes.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.