How long does it usually take for nipple sensation to return after breast aug?

Had a full lift (anchor) w/ silicone implants in March

Nipple sensation post aug

This will vary from one patient to the next and actually from one breast ie right to left.I usually will tell patients their sensitivity will return after several months.You may experince tingling/needles and pins for awhile.This process can take over a year.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation after breast surgery.

Nipple sensation may take a full year to start to return.  Occasionally, I have seen patients with sensation that continues to normalize for up to 2 years.   Likewise, you can have aberrant breast sensations ( electrical shocks, aching, and areas of numbness). for up to two years.  

Melinda Haws, MD

Nipple sensation

Most nipple sensation that will recover has recovered by 9 months.  A year is the usual answer at the outside, but most have return of sensation starting soon after surgery. If there is no sensation at all at nine months, most likely this is permanent. On the other hand, if there has been recent and ongoing improvement, it is likely to continue.

All the best 

It can take a year or more

Changes in sensation are normally temporary and resolve in the weeks or months following surgery. It is very rare that permanent changes occur.

Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

BBA

In most cases it will return within a few weeks BUT it can take up to 12-18 months.  There are cases where it has taken 2 years.  In rare cases, it can be permanent.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast Augment

I tell patients that most will have no change some will have increased and some will have decreased sensation. A very small amount of patients will have a permanent change and that would take longer than a year to prove itself