Which lip filler technique will give me fuller lips, no ducks? (Photos)

Injected first time in June with Juvaderm. Just went back for additional volume, received 1 syringe of Juvaderm and 1 syringe (.55ml) Volbella. Husband says my profile looks duckish. Since I'm new to this, don't know how to explain that I want more of the red lip plumped all the way across, not just the middle. But I don't want to worsen the duck. I see all these photos with great lip results and don't know if I have unrealistic expectations, or there is still potential for full pouty lips. Help

Had filler, now husband says I have duck lips. Can I pouty lips with looking ducky?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant. The lips appear "ducky" when the upper lip is larger than the lower making the lips unbalanced.  A similar appearance can be seen when the outer section of the upper lip (vermillion border) is injected with a significant amount of dermal filler without some being placed in the rest of the lip(s).

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Lip Filler and "duck" look

There seems to be too much lip filler placed in the lip line and not enough placed in the body of the lip. Please consult an expert in lip fillers for the best cosmetic result.  Best, Dr. Green

Fillers in lips

You probably need more in the "body" of the lip as opposed to the lip line.  Best of luck with your fillers.

After filler, my lips look ducky, why

The problem I see too much projection of the top lip. There is also loss of the normal anatomy and landmarks. Basically the filler was placed to enlarge them but not to accentuate the cupids bow, tubercles, or ratios. I would dissolve and then consider another injector with more attention to the details.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Perfecting the Pout--Lip Augmentation that Works, Fillers (Volbella, Voluma), Implants, Fat

I'm not sure when you had your injection, but this is most likely swelling and can last 1-2 weeks after your procedure. If you're unhappy with your results, you can have it reversed with hyaluronidase and try a different technique next time. These fillers, (Restylane, Juvederm, Volbella) are good to create a symmetrical and full lip. Technique will be important, placing the filler less in the border. Implants or fat are alternative options. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

#DuckLips

Dear iris2u:

You might be happier if your vermillion border is not injected directly, and if less filler is injected in the upper lip relative to the lower. Viewed from the side, one's upper lip ideally projects just 2 mm forward of the lower lip.  Your injector should be able to attain this relationship while injecting.

All the best,   Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Avoiding the duck lip...

I don't find that you currently have "duck lips".  Your goals should be made clear to your injecting physician, who should be in a core specialty (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, or dermatology).  Volbella and Restylane Silk are great fillers for plumping as opposed to Juvederm Ultra or Restylane, which are great for building.  Careful conservative addition injections may help you achieve your goal without the duck look. Good luck!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Which lip filler technique will give me fuller lips, no ducks?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I think you can still reach for your desired goals with additional, and careful, placement of a hyaluronic acid dermal filler such as JVD or Volbella.  Though initially the swelling of the injections can cause a "duckish" profile this tends to resolve over the first few days after treatment.  I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to review your current results and discuss the exact lip shape and volume you would like to achieve.  Best wishes.

Lip injections

Depending on when you had your treatment, you still may be swollen.  It takes up to two weeks for the swelling to subside and for you to see your final results.  When visiting with your injector take photos along of lips that have features that you like.  That may help in communicating more clearly what your goals are for treatment.  Please be aware that each person's anatomy is unique. The products can be used to enhance your features but exactly duplicating another's look is not likely.

Camille Cash, MD

Lip filler

Upper lip should be 1/3 and lower lip 2/3 on average in order to look balanced. Also lips should taper as they reach the corner of the mouth.  If not filled with those sort of guideline they can appear ducky.   If it has been less than 2 weeks I would let any swelling subside prior to change anything more. 

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician