I'm 68 yrs old. Am I a candiate for a Laser Facelift/ Precision TX? (photos)

I have been told that the time for laser facelift is 40"s & 50"s & that by 60"s results will be minimal due to loss of skin elasticity. I am 68 and want to tighten the jawline & neck.Would the benefits of collegian to the skin make this worthwhile.

Surgical vs. non-surgical neck lifts

This is an important question since today many patients flock to non-invasive treatment and are disappointed (either producing little discernible effect or, on the other hand, visible scarring). Patient selection for surgical or non-surgical treatment is the key to both.  Neck problems with aging are related to two main issues: redundancy of soft tissue ("too much fabric") and loss of elasticity (flimsy, thin fabric"). Your problem is predominantly the former. While some non-surgical device promise to produce skin tightening (this is the same as producing scarring with collagen formation), this is often unpredictable or problematic in the neck area. In general, with your type of condition, surgical approach is preferable and non-surgical treatment may be looked at as an adjunct or additive treatment since you can get a more definitive correction with surgery while trying to achieve the same effect with an energy-based non-surgical device may produce excessive risk of scarring.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Laser facelift?

The advice you received regarding "laser facelift" is correct while the reasoning is not correct. There is no such thing as a "laser facelift". The laser is simply a heat instrument which can tighten the skin a limited amount. Some people respond better to the laser than others. Sometimes it takes more than one treatment in order to achieve the optimum result. Even with several treatments however this will not replace a facelift. You need a face/necklift and I would advise doing a laser treatment at the same time. Please do not become discouraged by this advice. After all you don't junk your car just because the tires are worn out.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

What is the Best Age for a Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.
During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.
Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.
Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. The best candidates for Lite Lift™ surgery have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but whose skin has elasticity and whose bone structure is well defined and do not smoke.

Laser facelift is a marketing term

The laser can rid one of superficial skin blemishes and keratosis and give a nice appearance but the lifting potential is very very minimal.  This is the same for a chemical peel.  A facelift is a surgical facelift and the word laser facelift is a marketing term with some wishful thinking.   So have a few consults and get someone you like to do a realn facelift for you.  Please watch out for the catchy marketing terms.   At 68 you need a facelift.   My Best,  Dr C

Want it now or later? Match your aesthetic objectives with the correct "solution"

Neck skin laxity is invariably more pronounced in women because our skin is thinner.  We are in the era of "nonsurgical" skin tightening, however you should have a clear sense of whether you are willing to accept a delay of 3-6 months between receiving the collagen stimulating therapy, Precision TX and getting the results.  By contrast, a lower facelift and necklift, which does require surgery and convalescence, yields results in relatively short time, 2 weeks or so.  In my experience, a patient's biosynthetic capacity or ability to produce collagen, varies with age, gender, ethnicity and Fitzpatrick skin type.  Accordingly, I tend to propose the nonsurgical skin tightening devices to younger, darker complected individuals, as well as men.  Hope this helps. Good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Neck and jawline rejuvenation at age 68

To rejuvenate the neck, and lower face/neck lift must be performed. This will involve tightening the neck muscles in 3 locations, removal of any fatty deposits along the jawline above and below the platysma muscle, and tightening excess loose skin. At age 68 most patients will have an inch to 1 1/2 inches of extra skin which is removed from behind the ears on each side when a  facelift is being performed. There is no laser that can accomplish that amount of skin tightening. For many examples, please see the link below

Age is not the criteria for a facelift.

An undesirable change in facial expression like tiredness, anger, sadness or a saggy neck that appears to fade away by lifting the cheek, brow or neck can be sufficient cause in my practice to undergo a facial rejuvenation procedure ranging from fat micrografting to neck lift, my "Dual plane" brow lift technique or even my signature "Refresher Facelift", since other conditions such as severe weight loss, genetics, pregnancy or a debilitating medical episod rather than simple chronological aging can precipitate undesirable facial changes.  A procedure is justifiable when it is the logical answer to a corrective need not just a birth date!

Question about facelift surgery vs. laser skin rejuvenation

Thanks for your question about facelift surgery vs. laser skin rejuvenation.
These are two obviously different treatments
The key is to match the right treatment to the right patient
From your photographs it would appear that you would be a much better candidate for a traditional short scar facelift with muscle plication.  

Laser Facelift: Pros and Cons

The question you ask is a very good one. From your photos one can see that the extra skin of the lower face and neck would significantly be improved with a facelift. This procedure involves the lower face and neck regions and is better described as a "jaw defining procedure". Laser resurfacing is an excellent approach to treating fine lines and wrinkles, decreasing pore size and removing sun spots. Combined, the procedures are complementary and produce excellent results for facial rejuvenation.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift options

You need a standard full face and neck lift.  I don't know what specifically you mean by a laser facelift,  but I think a well done facelift would look great.  Unfortunately the laser doesn't tighten the neck.  Make your decision based on selection of a surgeon with a good reputation and go on a few different consults.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD