How do I go about figuring out if a Breast reduction is necessary and covered by insurance? (photos)

Since 8th grade i wore a DDD bra and have been suffering light back, neck and shoulder pain. I am now 18 and the pains have worsened. I've lost weight, that hasn't helped. I've gone to a chiropractor and she recommended that I do some research on breast reduction, so here I am. My lest breast is fairly larger than the right. Is a breast reduction the right thing to do? If so, how will i know if it will be covered?

Breast reduction

You are a good candidate for a breast reduction which would also include a lift and areola reduction.  It's hard to tell whether enough breast tissue would be removed to qualify for insurance coverage based on the photos, but you should contact your insurance company and find out what the requirements are.

To find out about reductions

schedule a consultation with a local plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and review your history and estimate how much tissue could be removed in your procedure.  You have some unusual folds that may need special attention during your procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Reduction In Teens

Thank you for the photos and questions. Your symptoms are typical for excessively large breasts. Weight loss, medications and chiropractic often fail to provide relief. Breast reduction is an effective treatment for the symptoms and will improve the symmetry and overall appearance of your breasts. Having children in the future can affect the results of the operation and your breasts could enlarge enough that another reduction will be necessary. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and the office staff can help you with insurance questions. Good luck!

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction for tuberous/contstricted breast

You have tuberous breast, you may have notices you have very large areolae and your breast has a high inframammary crease, ie, the distance from the bottom of the areolae to the bottom of the breast is short. And you are very asymmetric. And you are having back pain?? Methinks you will qualify no problem.

Breast Reduction

I think you would have to say, based on your photos, you would both feel and look better with a breast reduction. Every insurance contract has specific requirements their clients have to meet to qualify for insurance coverage. See a board certified surgeon for an exam and the doctor will communicate with your insurance carrier to see if you meet their requirements. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Lift /Breast Reduction/ Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

A breast reduction/lift will reposition your nipples and reshape your breasts, giving them a more youthful appearance and also help alleviate your back, neck and shoulder pain.  Your surgeon's office will contact your insurance company to determine  what, if any part of the surgery they will cover.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.
Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon