What is your recommendation for a revision surgery? should I have done a breast lift on one side with my enlargement? (photos)

Hi, I’m 25yo and I had a surgery in the end of August last year, I have 395cc Teardrop implants. Quickly after my surgery I could see an unsymmetrical difference on my breasts and nipples. I had a slightly unsymmetrical chest to start off with and my right sided breast was also slightly smaller than my left side. I’m been starting to consider a revision surgery since the difference between my breast is huge and I’m very unhappy with the result obviously. Would a replacement of the implant help?

Breast Revision with a Lift to Address Assymetry

The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy.With both implant types there are choices when it comes to size, shape, and profile. The criteria best to suit you will be discussed in full detail at your breast augmentation consultation.  Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct heightmay also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Revisionary Surgery in Melbourne, Florida

Revisionary surgery is always a complex decision making process and should be discussed in detail with one or more board-certified plastic surgeons. It is impossible to tell from photos exactly what your situation is as it involves your pre-existing natural breast and chest wall anatomy shape, amount of natural breast tissue, and other considerations. Also it may be helpful to remember, "Breasts are sisters, not twins" and that while they do tend to look similar, they never tend to look exactly the same. It certainly would be reasonable to consider some type of revision if you would like your breasts to look more similar than they do now. Hopefully this is helpful to you. Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is unclear as to what has happened to your breast based on the photos alone.  Before surgery, this breast's nipple appears to be lower than your other's.  After surgery though, it is significantly higher on the implant.  This could be caused by implant bottoming out.  To determine if this is the cause, you will need to be seen in person by your operating surgeon.  If you implant has in fact bottomed out, you will need a revision to correct your breast.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Revision Breast Implant Surgery

Your photos show some asymmetry pre-operatively.  The  nipple on the left is lower but the rest is difficult to interpret since your top remains on and is compressing the upper poles of the breasts.  In the after pictures your arms are raised and the left nipple is now higher relative to the right.  This is likely due to bottoming out out of the left implant.  This is more obvious in a picture with the arms relaxed at the sides.  Implants can migrate or shift in any direction, but a shift down or "bottoming out" is unfortunately a frequent occurrence.  The implant needs to be repositioned upward by modifying the capsule or the scar tissue envelope around the implant.  This procedure involves internal suturing and is done through your existing scar.  The procedure is called a capsulorrhaphy and also known as an internal bra.  Other issues with asymmetry such as volume difference and implant shape can be addressed at the same time.  Better pictures and an in-person consultation will help narrow down what needs to be done to maximize your final outcome.  

Christopher J. Schaffer, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

Based on your pictures, it appears that you had a slight asymmetry prior to surgery where your left nipple is lower than your right.  Postoperatively, it appears that you went the other way and now your left nipple is higher than your right side.  I think this is due to bottoming out of your left side.  Again, this assessment is based solely on your pictures.  An examination in person would be better.  If I am correct, this bottoming out could be corrected using sutures to reconstruct the lower fold of your left breast and bring you closer to a symmetrical result.  I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

What is your recommendation for a revision surgery? should I have done a breast lift on one side with my enlargement?

Sorry for the asymmetric results but you were moderately asymmetric in your posted before. Why did not the surgeon adjust the operation to effect a better result. YES now only revision can improve.....

Bottoming Out / Internal Bra

Good evening!

You have some bottoming out of your left breast (right in the postop photo). This allows the implant to slide too low on your chest wall, and the nipple rotates upwards.

Bottoming out is the most common type of repair I perform, about 5-6 times a week. I use the Internal Bra, my strong permanent internal suturing technique which lifts your implants higher on your chest wall, closer together, and supports them there over the long term. This procedure works and it lasts!

I have attached a link to my Internal Bra / Breast Augmentation Revision photo gallery for your review- hope it helps!